Subject: [Detnet] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-detnet-mpls-over-tsn-05

From: Jürgen Schönwälder via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 13:48:19 -0800

Reviewer: Jürgen Schönwälder
Review result: Has Nits

This is an informational document that claims to not state any new
requirements or recommendations. I am not following the DetNet work
and I only have a coarse understanding of MPLS. As such, I am not able
to comment on technical details.

There are quite a few sentences that use lowercase 'must' referring to
[IEEE8021CB] and [IEEEP8021CBdb]. These references are informational,
it seems that [1] suggests that more references should be moved to the
normative references section.

Since the document claims to not define requirements, I am wondering
whether all the "must" statements can be found in other documents. For
example:

   A TSN-aware MPLS (DetNet) node implementations must support the
   Sequencing function and the Sequence encode/decode function as
   defined in Clause 7.4 and 7.6 of IEEE 802.1CB [IEEE8021CB] if FRER is
   used inside the TSN sub-network.

In which document do I find this must requirement? I think there
should be references to those documents and the specific sections so
that it is clear where these "must"s are originating from. (Or the
initial promise that this document states not requirements is not
quite correct.)

[1] https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/normative-informative-references/

Editorial nits:

s/flows with a low/flows with low/

s/provides congestion/provide congestion/

There are some grammar issues throughout the document, I guess the RFC
editor will deal with them.