Subject: [Detnet] Erik Kline's Discuss on draft-ietf-detnet-ip-over-tsn-06: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Erik Kline via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 15:52:29 -0800

Erik Kline has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-detnet-ip-over-tsn-06: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-detnet-ip-over-tsn/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

[[ discuss ]]

[ section 4.1 ]

* I haven't tried to read the IEEE documents referenced here, but I'm
  hoping this question can be easily addressed by those who have.

  Can this Destination MAC rewriting ("replace ... with alternate values")
  ever affect IP and IP-related traffic that might carry MAC addresses,
  like ARP or NDP?

  If there could be impact to MAC-carrying traffic like ARP/NDP then it
  seems likely that more text is required here about that interaction
  (and I should probably figure out how to go read those references
  documents/clauses).

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

[[ nits ]]

[ section 1 ]

* "is used to provides" -> "is used to provide"

[ section 3 ]

* "due the lack" -> "due to the lack"

---

From: Balázs Varga A <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 08:23:36 +0000

Hi Erik,

Many thanks for your review.

Regarding Destination MAC rewriting:
- The main goal of Destination MAC rewriting is to make TSN Streams more easy 
to recognize inside the TSN sub-network (at Layer-2). There is always a similar 
interworking pair at the other end of the Stream and it restores the packet to 
its original destination MAC address and VLAN.
Therefore, there is no impact to IP and IP-related traffic that might carry MAC 
addresses, like ARP or NDP.

Thanks for the nits I will fix them.

Thanks
Bala'zs

-----Original Message-----
From: detnet <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Erik Kline via Datatracker
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2021 12:52 AM
To: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Detnet] Erik Kline's Discuss on draft-ietf-detnet-ip-over-tsn-06: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this introductory paragraph, however.)

[[ discuss ]]

[ section 4.1 ]

[[ nits ]]

[ section 1 ]

[ section 3 ]

_______________________________________________
detnet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/detnet

---

From: Erik Kline <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 20:43:51 -0800

Thanks for confirming there is no impact.  I'll clear my discuss.