Subject: [Detnet] FYI: Journal issue on High-Precision, Predictable and Low-Latency Networking - CFP

From: Alexander L Clemm <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 17:41:21 -0800

Hello DetNet Working Group,

As an FYI, I wanted to point out a Call for Papers for a Special Issue 
on High-Precision, Predictable, and Low-Latency Networking of the 
Journal of Network and Systems Management.  My apologies for using this 
mailer to disseminate this CFP, but this topic area is especially 
closely related to DetNet and it would be great to see some 
DetNet-related papers submitted from DetNet participants. The submission 
deadline is February 28. For more information, please refer to the 
following link: https://www.springer.com/journal/10922/updates/19942016. 
CFP is also attached below.

Kind regards

--- Alex

Journal of Network and Systems Management

Call for Papers: Special Issue on High-Precision, Predictable and 
Low-Latency Networking

New waves of networked applications continue to push the limits of what 
is possible with networks today. For example, Industrial Internet 
applications, Augmented Reality, Tactile Internet require ultra-low 
latency measured in single-digit milliseconds and do not tolerate jitter 
at all. Economic pressures mandate increasingly cloudification of 
real-time applications with precision service level needs. Many of those 
applications are mission-critical and cannot afford any loss in 
connectivity or even single packets. Collectively, these applications 
require networking services that support high-precision and predictable 
service levels with associated guarantees that border on determinism. 
This requires a rethinking of many of the principles underlying existing 
"Best Effort" internetworking technology.

Various approaches are emerging that try to tackle those challenges. 
Data centers with fixed topologies and a constant number of hops rapidly 
replace conventional routing and more general Internet topologies. 
Networks are becoming more programmable to allow to custom-tailor and 
optimize treatment of packets and flows. Related technologies range from 
Service Function Chaining to Network Slicing to SDN. While 5G is making 
URLLC at the network edge a reality, momentum for Beyond 5G (B5G) and 6G 
is building to push the boundaries of precision services beyond the edge 
and across the core. One overarching question concerns how these 
technologies can be harnessed and what additional approaches are needed 
to be able to actually deliver on high-precision networking with service 
levels that are predictable and that can be guaranteed. This will 
involve advances across all networking planes, including but not limited 
to approaches for the programming and processing of packets in the data 
plane, evolved control interfaces and ultra-low latency control loops to 
optimize service levels in the control-plane, methods for high-precision 
measurements and telemetry with nanosecond accuracy at scale, as well as 
advances in the related platforms and algorithms in the management plane.

This special issue focuses on challenges and solution approaches to 
deliver, manage, control, monitor, and measure high-precision network 
services that provide applications with predictable service levels that 
can be guaranteed. This includes (Ultra) Low-Latency networks, 
deterministic networks, 6G, etc. The special issue specifically 
encourages submission of papers that describe disruptive concepts, 
innovative solutions, testbeds, experiments, in addition to more 
evolutionary approaches.

Topics of Interest include but are not limited to the following:

• Platforms and solutions to manage and operate high-precision networks 
and services, e.g., Industrial Networks, Tactile Networks, Augmented 
Reality (AR), and cloud gaming

• Proof and validation of high-precision service level guarantees

• High-precision measurement techniques for ultra-low latency and jitter

• Service level assurance for micro services and service function chains

• Applications for and advances in Inband Network Telemetry and iOAM

• In-network service level tuning and optimization; predictable QoS

• Novel network programming models

• Applications of Artificial Intelligence for high-precision networking

• Time-Sensitive Networking (TSN), Deterministic Networking (DetNet), 
Network Protocol Evolution for IT/OT convergence

• SDN applications for high-precision, high-performance networking

• High-precision cloud networking services using Fog and Edge Computing

• Deployment and operational experiences with Industrial Internet, 
Tactile Internet, networked AR, cloud gaming

• 5G/B5G approaches

• Testbeds and platforms for High-Precision (OAI, MAGMA, OpenNetVM, etc.)

• Network optimization and hardware considerations for fast processing 
and delivery (DPDK, etc.)

Submission Schedule

We use an “open” submission schedule, which means that you can submit 
your paper at any time before we close the call (see below) and that we 
will start the review process right after receiving the submission. Many 
of the dates indicated below are therefore stated relative to the date 
the submission was initially received.

• Call closes: February 28, 2022

• Revision notification: 2 months after submission

• Revised paper due: 1.5 months after the revision notification

• Final notification: 1.5 months after the revised paper notification

• Expected publication of the special issue: third quarter of 2022 
(early accepted papers will be accessible online before the deadline)

Submission Format and Review Guidelines

Submitted manuscripts must be written in English and must not exceed 30 
pages in Springer LNCS format. Your paper must describe original 
research not published or currently under review by other journals or 
conferences. Parallel submissions will not be accepted.

All submitted papers, if relevant to the theme and objectives of the 
special issue, will go through an external peer-review process. 
Submissions should (i) conform strictly to the Instructions for Authors 
available on the JNSM website and (ii) be submitted through the 
Editorial Management system available at 
https://www.editorialmanager.com/jons.

See also

https://www.springer.com/journal/10922/updates/19942016

---

From: John Grant <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 12:45:43 +0000

On 05/02/2022 01:41, Alexander L Clemm wrote:
> Journal of Network and Systems Management.  My apologies for using 
> this mailer to disseminate this CFP, but this topic area is especially 
> DetNet-related papers submitted from DetNet participants. The 
> submission deadline is February 28. For more information, please refer 
> to the following link: 
> https://www.springer.com/journal/10922/updates/19942016. CFP is also 
> attached below.
>
You might also have mentioned that authors have to pay $2690.00 plus tax.

-- 
John Grant
Nine Tiles, Cambridge, England
+44 1223 862599 and +44 1223 511455
http://www.ninetiles.com

-- 
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

---

From: Alexander L Clemm <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 11:32:29 -0800

This is not correct.   Authors do not have to pay anything to publish in 
the journal.  This is not a pay-to-play.

If you want to publish your paper Open Access (i.e., not per the 
traditional publishing model), there is a charge.  But that is at the 
choice of the author.

This is explained here 
(https://www.springer.com/journal/10922/how-to-publish-with-us#Publishing%20options): 

/Journal of Network and Systems Management/ is a Transformative Journal 
(TJ). Once the article is accepted for publication, authors will have 
the option to choose how their article is published:

 1. *Traditional publishing model* – published articles are made
    available to institutions and individuals who subscribe to /Journal
    of Network and Systems Management/ or who pay to read specific articles.
 2. *Open Access* – when an article is accepted for publication, the
    author/s or funder/s pay an Article Processing Charge (APC). The
    final version of the published article is then free to read for
    everyone.

Anyway, please consider submitting a paper.  Thanks!

--- Alex

On 2/5/2022 4:45 AM, John Grant wrote:
>> As an FYI, I wanted to point out a Call for Papers for a Special 
>> Issue on High-Precision, Predictable, and Low-Latency Networking of 
>> the Journal of Network and Systems Management.  My apologies for 
>> using this mailer to disseminate this CFP, but this topic area is 
>> especially closely related to DetNet and it would be great to see 
>> some DetNet-related papers submitted from DetNet participants. The 
>> submission deadline is February 28. For more information, please 
>> refer to the following link: 
> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> 
> 	Virus-free. www.avg.com 
> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> 
>
>
> <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
>
> _______________________________________________
> detnet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/detnet