Subject: [dhcwg] Which network devices may not use DHCP?

From: "Rouhshi Low" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 19:37:14 +1000

Can someone tell me which network devices may use DHCP and which must not (and why not)? 

Rouhshi

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:20:40 -0700 (PDT)

> Can someone tell me which network devices may use DHCP and which must not (and why not)? 

In general, IPv4 hosts which use static addressing or IPv4 linklocal
addresses exclusively will not use DHCPv4 for addressing. Similarly, IPv6
hosts may use stateless autoconfig, and so may not need DHCPv6 for
addressing. However, even if addresses aren't needed, DHCPv4 or DHCPv6 
might still be used to obtain configuration information.  

Check out: draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-04.txt for more info on IPv4
linklocal addressing.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg