Subject: [dhcwg] Re: Lease database storage in DHCPv6

From: Artur Guja <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 20:04:39 +0100

Hello steve,

s> BTW there is a v6 implementation already, based on the ISc codebase.
s> Given that you are going to put a lot of effort into dhcp V6,
s> which the world clearly needs, you may as well get behind
s> the isc server. I am also interested in furthering the cause.

The ISC code is a good reference point, but what I'm working on here
is generally a different environment. Basically I'm trying to
implement a simple, yet fully functional DHCPv6 (both client & server)
for my univ diploma. The ISC is a bit to big/monstrual/overelaborated
and, basically, I'm required to build my code from scratch :)))

As for technical stuff:
I'm trying not to assume too much about the network. The number of
clients I'm basing my model on is serveral thousand. As for the
network type, I'm basing on Ethernet in general and estimating for
10/100.

All implementations of DHCPv6 I've come across were based on drafts
-15 or similar, and were closer to v4 than to the current state of v6.
The deadline of my diploma is May'02, so I will base my code on draft
-20, there being not much chance to have it based on an actual RFC
:)))

As for ISC code:
1) As I'm targeting thin clients and embeds, multithreading is out,
all single threaded.
2) IMHO, dhcp is not a very performance-dependent protocol. Just have
to make sure the replies reach clients within reasonable timeouts
(much less than max timeouts).
3) The main problem is getting the whole thing to function in the
first place :))) (God, please, give me an RFC :))) Much work still has
to be done to get it all straight :))

Artur Guja

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Artur Guja <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:27:44 +0100

Hello steve,

Monday, October 29, 2001, 9:08:42 PM, you wrote:

s> Ah. Wireless environment...
I rather hope not :)))

s> The client has to be compact, but the env does not necessarily constrain the
s> server.
s> (unless it is running on a linksys hub...is this the sort of server you are
s> after?)
Well, what I'm after is a more-or-less general solution (home
PC-based), but I do have to take some embedded issues into
consideration (my diploma requires that).

s> Then just do an in-memory hash based database, with an optional transaction
s> journal file backup.
The "optional" is a bit of a problem. The dhcpv6 draft says that the
server MUST save the leases to non-volatile storage. Well, what if one
is NOT AVAILABLE :))) That's what I've been pointing at :)))

s> the throughput may be as high as a couple of thousand transactions
s> per sec. ( I am talking carrier class servers, not embedded).
I have a dhvpv4 server in my home net. It is incorporated into a
modem-net transciever (right, I got my modem connected straight to the
network). I looked inside, and it is just one chip doing the dhcp-ing.

My point: You can build a dhcp server on a carrier-class server, or
even a cluster, if you like :)) But my goal here is to make it work on
a reasonable computer with the option of porting it easily to an
embedded environment or even a single ship.

s> btw where are you based?
Gdansk University of Technology, Poland
(or, if you prefer, in Polish)
Politechnika Gdanska, Polska

-- 
Best regards,
 Artur                            mailto:[email-masked]