Subject: [Dhcpv6bis] [dhcpv6bis] #122 (XML 3315): The wording about avoiding the storm SHOULD/MAY be more specific

From: "dhcpv6bis issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 11:11:05 -0000

#122: The wording about avoiding the storm SHOULD/MAY be more specific

 comment from ayourtch@ during the review of the stateful issues draft:

 "4.4.5.  Updates to Section 18.1.8 of RFC 3315"

 This text:

 "
      the client retransmits the original message to the same server to
      retry the desired operation, the client MUST limit the rate at
      which it retransmits the message and limit the duration of the time
      during which it retransmits the message.
 "

 I think it should be more specific about the numbers. Should there be
 a reference to https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7083 in some way as a
 guidance ?

 -----

 Comment from Bernie:

 > Regarding 4.4.5, this is a retransmission of Request/Renew/Rebind and
 not
 > Solicit. The idea here is that we don't want the client to turn around
 and
 > retransmit immediately the Request/Renew/Rebind as that could create a
 storm
 > (request followed by Reply with UnSpecFail). This is also the text that
 was
 > copied DIRECTLY from RFC 3315 - it was  not modified. If you feel this
 > should be changed or clarified, let's take this up in the DHCPv6 bis
 work
 > (create a ticket for it). I would rather not expand the issues in this
 > draft.

-- 
-------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:                     |      Owner:
  [email-masked]           |     Status:  new
     Type:  task               |  Milestone:  B moderate, apply after merge
 Priority:  P4 minor           |   Keywords:
Component:  XML 3315           |
-------------------------------+-------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/ticket/122>
dhcpv6bis <http://tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/>