Subject: Re: [Dhcpv6bis] [dhcpv6bis] #48 (XML 3315): Clarify that configuration received over interface X applies to interface X only

From: "dhcpv6bis issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 18:22:12 -0000

#48: Clarify that configuration received over interface X applies to interface X
only

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => complete

Comment:

 Thanks for the comments, Jyrki. The updated text now says:

 {{{
    When a client sends a DHCP message to the
    All_DHCP_Relay_Agents_and_Servers address, it SHOULD send the message
    through the interface for which configuration information is being
    requested.  However, the client MAY send the message through another
    interface if the interface is a logical interface without direct link
    attachement or the client is certain that two interfaces are attached
    to the same link.
 }}}

 Hopefully it is better than the previous one. Please propose a better one
 if it isn't.

 Note that I also removed a sentence about using link-local address of the
 interface the configuration is requested for as source address. In my
 opinion
 DHCPv6 should not go into source address selection business. The
 destination
 is a link-local multicast address, so the kernel should decide that the
 source must be link-local. Doing tricks with faking source address of one
 interface on another is an ugly kludge that we should avoid.

 Please reopen this ticket if you disagree with that proposed solution.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |       Owner:
  [email-masked]         |  [email-masked]
     Type:  task                     |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  P1 blocker               |   Milestone:  B moderate, apply
Component:  XML 3315                 |  after merge
 Keywords:                           |  Resolution:  complete
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/ticket/48#comment:4>
dhcpv6bis <http://tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/>