Subject: [Dhcpv6bis] [dhcpv6bis] #128 (XML 3315): 3315 12. Management of Temporary Addresses

From: "dhcpv6bis issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 20:34:10 -0000

#128: 3315 12. Management of Temporary Addresses

 Fred Baker (for draft-ietf-savi-dhcp) was confused by the text in section
 12:

 12. Management of Temporary Addresses

    A client may request the assignment of temporary addresses (see RFC
    3041 [12] for the definition of temporary addresses).  DHCPv6
    handling of address assignment is no different for temporary
    addresses.  DHCPv6 says nothing about details of temporary addresses
    like lifetimes, …

 We would have to see if Ralph recalls the reason for this text, but I
 suspect it means that the RFC 3315 is not providing any guidance as to
 what the actual lifetimes values should be set to (i.e., is the temporary
 address lifetime 10 minutes or 2 days or 3 months).

 It is not saying that there are no lifetimes (i.e., ignore the preferred
 /valid-lifetime fields).

 I think we will look at fixing this text - perhaps we should say "like the
 lifetime values to be used" or remove the "lifetimes" from the list.

-- 
----------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:
     Type:  task            |     Status:  new
 Priority:  P1 blocker      |  Milestone:  B moderate, apply after merge
Component:  XML 3315        |   Keywords:
----------------------------+-------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/ticket/128>
dhcpv6bis <http://tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/>