Subject: [Dhcpv6bis] [dhcpv6bis] #132 (bis-standardization-process): Use DHCPv6 or DHCP

From: "dhcpv6bis issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 15:43:35 -0000

#132: Use DHCPv6 or DHCP

 RFC 3315 uses DHCP throughout the document. Tomek is suggesting we switch
 to DHCPv6 throughout. My own opinion is that DHCP is fine. In 4.2 (DHCP
 Terminology) is:

       DHCP                      Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
                                 for IPv6.  The terms DHCPv4 and DHCPv6
                                 are used only in contexts where it is
                                 necessary to avoid ambiguity.

 Some reasons to stick to using DHCP:
 - Document will be somewhat shorter (the assumption is that the two extra
 characters for the ~300 references would increase the page count).
 - The usage is consistent with the terminology section.
 - The context is usually pretty clear.

 Some reasons to switch to DHCPv6:
 - When text is quoted elsewhere, it will be more clear that this is for
 DHCPv6.
 - It avoids confusion with DHCP[v4].

 Note: The current document does use DHCPv6 in some sections (i.e., new
 section 5) that would need to be cleaned up.

 This goal is to discuss this at the Jan 7th DHCPv6bis team meeting and get
 group consensus.

-- 
-----------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]               |      Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  task                         |     Status:  new
 Priority:  P1 blocker                   |  Milestone:  C awaiting
Component:  bis-standardization-process  |  consensus
 Due Date:  07/01/2015                   |   Keywords:
-----------------------------------------+---------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/ticket/132>
dhcpv6bis <http://tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/>

---

From: "dhcpv6bis issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 15:46:04 -0000

#132: Use DHCPv6 or DHCP

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * milestone:  C awaiting consensus => E Editor issues

Old description:

> This goal is to discuss this at the Jan 7th DHCPv6bis team meeting and
> get group consensus.

New description:

    DHCP - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6.  The terms DHCPv4
 and DHCPv6 are used only in contexts where it is necessary to avoid
 ambiguity.

--

-- 
-----------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]               |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  task                         |      Status:  new
 Priority:  P1 blocker                   |   Milestone:  E Editor issues
Component:  bis-standardization-process  |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                               |    Due Date:  07/01/2015
-----------------------------------------+------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/ticket/132#comment:1>
dhcpv6bis <http://tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/>