Subject: [Dhcpv6bis] [dhcpv6bis] #140 (XML 3315): Client uses information from the IAs that do not contain NoPrefixAvail and NoAddrsAvail status code

From: "dhcpv6bis issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 11:43:14 -0000

#140: Client uses information from the IAs that do not contain NoPrefixAvail and
NoAddrsAvail status code

 During the WGLC of the "stateful issues" draft, Tomek pointed out that in
 the update to section 18.1.8 of RFC3315 (Receipt of Reply Messages) the
 following statement:
 {{{
 The client uses addresses and other information from any IAs that
 do not contain a Status Code option with the NoAddrsAvail code.
 }}}

 with this statement:

 {{{
 The client uses addresses and other information from any IAs that
 do not contain a Status Code option with the non-success code.
 }}}

 (Note the change from "NoAddrsAvail" to "non-success").

 Bernie and I rejected this change for "stateful-issues" draft on the
 grounds that it is a text taken with no change from RFC3315 and we don't
 see any case in which the server would put other non-success status code
 and IAs at the same time. This obviously excludes the NoPrefixAvail status
 code, but it must be noted that "stateful-issues" doesn't try to combine
 the RFC3315 and RFC3633, but it merely updates these documents
 respectively. That said, there are tons of other places where we refer to
 address assignment and we assume that the PD works the same way but uses
 IA_PD and NoPrefixAvail where applicable, instead of IA_NA and
 NoAddrsAvail.

 However, the BIS document will combine the RFC3315 and RFC3633 so it seems
 appropriate to also consider this paragraph as the one that would require
 an update, because with the combined text will indeed become confusing if
 we only mention the case of NoAddrsAvail.

 There is an ongoing effort by the RFC3315-bis editors to figure out how to
 best combine the RFC3315 and RFC3633. Depending on the result of this
 work, there are many possible ways to address this particular ticket. One
 of them would simply be to state that:
 {{{
 The client uses addresses, prefixes and other information from any IAs
 that do not contain a Status Code option with the NoAddrsAvail or
 NoPrefixAvail code.
 }}}

-- 
----------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:
     Type:  task                  |     Status:  new
 Priority:  P3 major              |  Milestone:  C awaiting consensus
Component:  XML 3315              |   Keywords:
 Due Date:  05/02/2015            |
----------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/ticket/140>
dhcpv6bis <http://tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/>