Subject: Re: [Dhcpv6bis] [dhcpv6bis] #68 (XML 3315): Bakeoff: Clients - Prefix Length of Assigned Addresses

From: "dhcpv6bis issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 01:40:39 -0000

#68: Bakeoff: Clients - Prefix Length of Assigned Addresses

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 This was discussed at the IETF-92 (Dallas) DHC WG session and further
 debated on the mailing list - see the thread starting with
 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dhcwg/current/msg16391.html.

 The general consensus was that this should be documented; exactly how is
 the main question. At the time I write this, Lorenzo's last suggestion
 was:

 "Addresses received via DHCPv6 do not have any associated reachability
 information. In order [to] avoid the problems described in [RFC4943],
 hosts MUST NOT assume that any IPv6 addresses are reachable on-link as a
 result of receiving an IA_NA or IA_TA; IPv6 addresses obtained from IA_NA
 or IA_TA MUST NOT be configured with any prefix length except /128."

 We might replace IA_NA or IA_TA with IAADDR option (since that is the
 option that convey's the address).

 But further discussion may occur with revised text.

-- 
----------------------------+-----------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |       Owner:
     Type:  task            |      Status:  new
 Priority:  P4 minor        |   Milestone:  C awaiting consensus
Component:  XML 3315        |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                  |    Due Date:
----------------------------+-----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/ticket/68#comment:1>
dhcpv6bis <http://tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/>