Subject: [Dhcpv6bis] [dhcpv6bis] #148 (XML 3315): Deprecate lifetime hints

From: "dhcpv6bis issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 09:42:58 -0000

#148: Deprecate lifetime hints

 There was a discussion in Prague about limited value of clients sending
 iaddr/iaprefix lifetime hints (with address/prefix being zeros).

 There is some limited benefit of it (theoretical case brought up was a
 mobile device indicating it has only 5 minutes of battery life left, so
 there's no point in getting longer leases), but Tim Winters mentioned a
 number of issues in existing implementations. In particular, faulty
 clients sending decreasing lifetimes (they use remaining lifetimes, rather
 than the total lifetime) and issues with failover (the initial lifetime
 assgined in equal to mclt, which typically is much shorter than the
 intended lifetime).

 The proposal is to add a text that the clients should not send addresses
 or prefixes as hints if they only information conveyed is requested
 lifetimes. The servers should ingore such addresses or prefixes. We prefer
 should not, rather than must not, for the sake of legacy implementation.

 This is something we definitely bring up to the WG in Prague.

-- 
----------------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:
     Type:  task                        |     Status:  new
 Priority:  P1 blocker                  |  Milestone:  C awaiting consensus
Component:  XML 3315                    |   Keywords:
 Due Date:                              |
----------------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/ticket/148>
dhcpv6bis <http://tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/>