Subject: Re: [Dhcpv6bis] [dhcpv6bis] #148 (XML 3315): Deprecate lifetime hints

From: "dhcpv6bis issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 01:15:23 -0000

#148: Deprecate lifetime hints

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Sent confirmation email to DHC WG from IETF-93 discussion; no responses
 received - thus the resolution is as follows:

 Email sent on 8/10/2015 to DHC WG:

 As a follow-up from the IETF-93 (Prague) DHC WG session and the DHCPv6 bis
 Issues (see
 https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/93/slides/slides-93-dhc-7.pdf):

 For slide #4, Lifetime Hints (#148), we want to confirm the WG consensus
 to adopt the proposal to DROP lifetime hints stands:

 Proposal: Drop lifetime hints; servers SHOULD/MUST ignore any supplied
 lifetimes (clients SHOULD NOT send – i.e. send 0)

 Please respond if you do not agree with this proposal and please indicate
 why.

 The rationale for this proposal is that clients often get the hint wrong
 (they will use what they previously got for a lifetime or perhaps even
 just the remaining lifetime – which can result in shorter and shorter
 lifetimes) which makes use of this information by the server problematic.
 If a client wants a shorter lieftime, it is always free to release it
 earlier.

 -       Bernie (for draft-ietf-dhc-rfc3315bis coauthors)

-- 
----------------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |       Owner:
     Type:  task                        |      Status:  new
 Priority:  P1 blocker                  |   Milestone:  C awaiting
Component:  XML 3315                    |  consensus
 Keywords:                              |  Resolution:
                                        |    Due Date:
----------------------------------------+----------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/ticket/148#comment:1>
dhcpv6bis <http://tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/>