Subject: Re: [Dhcpv6bis] [dhcpv6bis] #80 (XML 3315): Bakeoff: Server: Multiple requests

From: "dhcpv6bis issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 13:08:16 -0000

#80: Bakeoff: Server: Multiple requests

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => complete

Comment:

 Removed references to server caching the response. This was actually
 pretty scary.

 The updated text now says:
 {{{
 If the server finds that the client has included an IA in the
 Request message for which the server already has a binding that
 associates the IA with the client, the server sends a new Reply
 message with existing bindings, possibly with updated lifetimes.
 The server may update the bindings according to its local policies,
 but the server SHOULD generate the response again and not simply
 retransmit previously sent information, even if the transaction-id
 matches previous transmission. The server MUST NOT cache its responses.
 }}}

 I also added the following explanation, but it's currently commented out:
 {{{
 The reason why cached replies are bad is because their lifetimes
 are out of sync. If the client retransmits its REQUEST for 20
 seconds and finally gets the cached answer, its notion of the lease
 expiration moment would be 20 seconds later than the server's.
 So the server could think the lease has expired and reassign it,
 while the client would believe its lease is still valid for
 another 20 seconds.
 }}}

 Please let me know if you think such an explanation should make it into
 the final text. Resolving this ticket. If you disagree with this, please
 reopen.

-- 
----------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  task            |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  P3 major        |   Milestone:  B moderate, apply after merge
Component:  XML 3315        |  Resolution:  complete
 Keywords:                  |    Due Date:
----------------------------+--------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/ticket/80#comment:5>
dhcpv6bis <http://tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/>