Subject: [Dhcpv6bis] [dhcpv6bis] #162 (XML 3315): Change default DUID type to DUID-LL?

From: "dhcpv6bis issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 20:05:40 -0000

#162: Change default DUID type to DUID-LL?

 The current text contains this:

 {{{
    This method [DUID-LLT] of DUID generation is recommended for all
 general purpose
    computing devices such as desktop computers and laptop computers, and
    also for devices such as printers, routers, and so on, that contain
    some form of writable non-volatile storage.
 }}}

 Tomek wrote:

 Once in a while sysadmins keep asking why DHCPv6 is using DUID-LLT as
 default, rather than just LL. Here's an example of such question asked
 last week:
 https://www.facebook.com/groups/2234775539/permalink/10154080188010540/
 (if you don't have facebook account, you can still see the discussion by
 clicking X comments link).

 The details vary, but the general objection is still the same. There's a
 large enterprise or similar organization and the sysadmin would like to
 know DUIDs of the devices he's about to plug into his network to do host
 reservation, access control or provide some options on a per host basis.
 He can't do that without powering up every device and letting it
 generate its LLT duid.

 There are several twists to this. First, some people claim it's
 difficult to extract generated DUIDs from many operating systems, so
 cases where users themselves are expected to provide their DUID, even if
 the device was booted up already, are problematic for users to handle.

 Another objection is that most hardware these days have MAC address
 printed on it. Vendors can't really print DUIDs as they are not known
 during manufacturing phase.

 As I understand it, the original rationale for using LLT rather than LL
 as default was to avoid cases when switching faulty NIC would make the
 client to change its DUID. This is very 1990s. If you disagree with
 this, when was the last time you replaced faulty interface card? Also,
 the mechanism we have right now - generate the DUID and store it -
 effectively solves the concern.

 So, what's your opinion on making the DUID-LL the default for regular
 devices (i.e. those with clocks and stable storage for generated DUIDs)?

 This was initially discussed on dhcpv6bis where the idea got generally
 favorable response, but suggestion was made to ask on DHC, which Tomek
 did.

-- 
----------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:
     Type:  task                        |     Status:  new
 Priority:  P1 blocker                  |  Milestone:  E Editor issues
Component:  XML 3315                    |   Keywords:
 Due Date:  31/05/2016                  |
----------------------------------------+-----------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/ticket/162>
dhcpv6bis <http://tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/>