Subject: Re: [Dhcpv6bis] [dhcpv6bis] #102 (XML 3315): Merge RFC3633 Section 7: Overview of DHCP with Prefix Delegation (0.7 page)

From: "dhcpv6bis issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2016 14:54:36 -0000

#102: Merge RFC3633 Section 7: Overview of DHCP with Prefix Delegation (0.7 page)

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 I compared the RFC 3633 document with our current (5/2/2016) version of
 the bis document and the main missing material from 3633 seems to be the 3
 paragraphs from RFC 3633 Section 12.1 staring with the "Upon the receipt
 of a valid Reply messages, for each IA_PD ...". As there are some MUSTs in
 this text, I think it should be moved to the bis document. I propose
 adding this into section 17.1.10.1 of the bis document -- I think we can
 replace "- For each IA_PD the delegating router assigns a subnet from each
 of the delegated prefixes to each of the links to which the associated
 interfaces are attached." with the following:

 (Note that that 17.1.10.1 text is wrong to use delegating router - it
 should be requesting router!)

    - For each IA_PD the requesting router assigns a subnet from each of
    the delegated
    prefixes to each of the links to which the associated interfaces are
    attached, with the following exception: the requesting router MUST
    NOT assign any delegated prefixes or subnets from the delegated
    prefix(es) to the link through which it received the DHCP message
    from the delegating router (see [RFC6603] for exceptions to this).

    When a requesting router subnets a delegated prefix, it must assign
    additional bits to the prefix to generate unique, longer prefixes.
    For example, if the requesting router in Figure 1 were delegated
    3FFE:FFFF:0::/48, it might generate 3FFE:FFFF:0:1::/64 and
    3FFE:FFFF:0:2::/64 for assignment to the two links in the subscriber
    network.  If the requesting router were delegated 3FFE:FFFF:0::/48
    and 3FFE:FFFF:5::/48, it might assign 3FFE:FFFF:0:1::/64 and
    3FFE:FFFF:5:1::/64 to one of the links, and 3FFE:FFFF:0:2::/64 and
    3FFE:FFFF:5:2::/64 for assignment to the other link.

    If the requesting router assigns a delegated prefix to a link to
    which the router is attached, and begins to send router
    advertisements for the prefix on the link, the requesting router MUST
    set the valid lifetime in those advertisements to be no later than
    the valid lifetime specified in the IA_PD Prefix option.  A
    requesting router MAY use the preferred lifetime specified in the
    IA_PD Prefix option.

 I've done this item and plan to close this ticket shortly.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |       Owner:  [email-masked]
  [email-masked]         |      Status:  new
     Type:  task                     |   Milestone:  B moderate, apply
 Priority:  P1 blocker               |  after merge
Component:  XML 3315                 |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                           |    Due Date:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/ticket/102#comment:5>
dhcpv6bis <http://tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/>

---

From: "dhcpv6bis issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2016 14:56:27 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |       Owner:  [email-masked]
  [email-masked]         |      Status:  closed
     Type:  task                     |   Milestone:  B moderate, apply
 Priority:  P1 blocker               |  after merge
Component:  XML 3315                 |  Resolution:  fixed
 Keywords:                           |    Due Date:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/ticket/102#comment:6>
dhcpv6bis <http://tools.ietf.org/group/dhcpv6bis/>