Subject: UNIX DHCP Client ?

From: Paul Gademsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 21:42:37 -0500 (EST)

Has anyone put together a matrix of which UNIX clients support DHCP
(either directly with vendor software or ISC dhcp client) based on OS
revisions?  I'm also interested in which if any will support DDNS from a

client standpoint (succesfully passing a host name field with the DHCP
request, and getting the correct info back from the DHCP server that is
running with DDNS).

Main platforms of interest are Sun (SunOS and Solaris), SGI (IRIX), HP
(HPUX 9.x and up)

Information that I've gathered so far is listed below.

Sun Solaris 2.5.1 and below, no bundled client, 2.6 and above, bundled
client

HPUX 10.01 and below, no bundled client, 10.10 server only, 10.20 and
up, bundled client

SGI 5.2 and below, unknow, 5.3 and up (separate package called
Proclaim).

I know ISC has made clients that cover these platforms, but not sure
what OS versions have been tested/used, and what success people have
had.

Any more details would be very usefull.

Paul Gademsky
DHCP Project Manager
Lockheed Martin/EIS
[email-masked], (408) 756-1661