Subject: RE: Remote Boot Protocol BOF (remboot)

From: "Henry, Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 18:53:44 -0500 (EST)

FYI

To be added to the Remote_Boot mailing list associated w/ this BOF, send
mail to:

[email-masked] (no subject line)
First line of message body:  SUBSCRIBE remote_boot  "your name"

 - Mike H.  3/4
-----------------
   Michael D. Henry
   Intel Architecture Lab / MPL, Intel Corp.
   (503) 264-9689
   [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Narten [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 1999 12:28
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: FYI: Remote Boot Protocol BOF (remboot)

Remote Boot Protocol BOF (remboot)

Thursday, March 18 at 1530-1730
===============================

Chair:  Michael Henry <[email-masked]>

DESCRIPTION:

The Remote Boot Protocol Working Group is chartered to define a standard 
protocol between the remote boot client and the responding server. The 
Working Group objective is to produce a protocol that insures remote boot 
clients, of arbitrary platform and instruction set architecture, will be
able to choose and obtain an appropriate boot program from a arbitrary 
variety of boot servers, without the necessity of site specific 
pre-configuration of the client.

The working group will consider existing remote boot methods. The protocol 
defined by the working group will be consistent with DHCP and the Service 
Location Protocol. The working group will coordinate with both the Dynamic 
Host Configuration Protocol and the Service Location Protocol Working
Groups.  The output of this WG will consist of a base architectural document

that provides the framework for how remote boot will be done (i.e., defines 
the protocol), together with one or more documents defining the required 
capabilities of the remote boot client and the responding server. The 
protocol document will describe how the remote boot client will discover an 
appropriate boot server, how the client will identify itself to the boot 
server, and how the remote boot client will obtain a boot program. If 
possible, an existing protocol to locate a boot service (e.g. Service 
Location Protocol) will be used. IANA registration for types of remote boot 
clients and types of boot servers will be specified as part of the base 
protocol. Documenting necessary capabilities of the remote boot client and 
boot server will be done elsewhere (i.e., in standalone documents).

AGENDA:

1. Introduction and Agenda review
2. Problem Statement: Limitations of DHCP/bootfile remote boot - WG charter
   review
3. Review PXE boot protocol ID
(draft-viswanathan-remote_boot-protocol-00.txt)
4. Review Multicast use in PXE boot protocol ID
(draft-viswanathan-remote_boot-mtftp-00.txt)
5. Decision on consensus to pursue working group status.

Mailing Lists: 

[email-masked]