Subject: Two DHCP servers on a network

From: [email-masked] (by way of Ralph Droms)
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 07:10:29 -0500 (EST)

message sent to [email-masked] by [email-masked] follows.
-----

Hello,
my name is Jamie Boyce,  I am an IT Specialist at Misys Plc, and at present
have a few queries with DHCP.  I have installed one DHCP server on our LAN,
and would like to know if it is possible to install a second DHCP server as
a backup.  I have attempted this but when the second DHCP server came online
it gave out replicated IP addresses.  Is there anyway of replicating the
DHCP database.

many thanks

Jamie Boyce

---

From: "Paul Roberts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 07:56:35 -0500 (EST)

You could either use DHCP servers that implement the new failover protocol,
but this is currently only an IETF draft so may not be fully implemented on
your chosen server, or you could use a second server with a separate address
range. Traditionally, servers have not been able to communicate lease
binding information with each other so it has not been possible to share
duplicate address ranges. This is what the failover draft attempts to fix.

For now, you will probably have to use a different address range on the
second server.

Regards,

Paul

+---------------------------------------------+
|    Paul Roberts, Professional Services,     |
|     Internet & Intranet Solutions Ltd.      |
|  Tel: +44 1256 346344 Fax: +44 1256 346355  |
| E-mail: [email-masked] |
|    WWW: http://www.intranet-solutions.com   |
+---------------------------------------------+