Subject: DHCPNAK

From: [email-masked] (by way of Ralph Droms)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 22:55:06 -0500 (EST)

message sent to [email-masked] by [email-masked] follows.
------------------------------------------------------------------

[Previously sent to dhcp-impl but didn't get a response,
 so trying dhcp-v4 now...]

Hi,

I've read the RFCs already but there is something I am
not clear about the DHCPNAK packet.

If I am a relay agent and I receive a DHCPNAK packet from the
server, how should I forward the packet to the client if the
DHCPNAK packet has:

1. a broadcast bit of 0 (in the flag)
2. yiaddr is 0
3. ciaddr is 0

I am assuming that if the broadcast bit is 0, I should NOT
broadcast the reply but instead unicast it to the client.  Yet,
neither yiaddr nor ciaddr contains the client's IP address.
As a matter of fact, there is nothing in the packet indicating
the client's IP address.  It appears the only way I can send
the packet back is to broadcast it regardless of what the
broadcast bit says.  First, is that the right thing to do?
Second, is the server behaving correctly by sending me the
above DHCPNAK in the first place?

Please reply directly to me since I don't subscribe to this list.

Thanks in advance.

Hank