Subject: Motorola patent application on draft-dhcp-agent-options-*.txt

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 10:45:50 -0400 (EDT)

Following the procedure in RFC2026, 10.3.2 (C), I've asked Steve Coya of
the IETF to contact Motorola to obtain 

     "written assurance that upon approval by the IESG
      of the relevant Internet standards track specification(s), any
      party will be able to obtain the right to implement, use and
      distribute the technology or works when implementing, using or
      distributing technology based upon the specific specification(s)
      under openly specified, reasonable, non-discriminatory terms."

We'll keep you posted as to the progress of these efforts.

Based on RFC2026, the WG may decide to: 

* continue considering draft-dhcp-agent-options-*.txt for standards acceptance
* defer further action until hearing details about the patent application
from Motorola
* drop the draft as a WG work item

My recommendation would be to defer any decision until we hear from Motorola.

- Ralph

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 11:29:10 -0400 (EDT)

> My recommendation would be to defer any decision until we hear from Motorola.

This sounds like the right thing to do.   Thanks!

			       _MelloN_

---

From: "HIBBS, BARR (PB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 12:14:12 -0400 (EDT)

> This sounds like the right thing to do.   Thanks!
I concur with Ralph and Ted (and, undoubtedly, numerous others), namely that
the WG should defer a decision on any action regarding the relay agent
options draft until we have a clear, unambiguous, and binding statement from
Motorola's legal counsel regarding the specific technologies they are
seeking to patent.

--Barr