Subject: options question

From: "David Erdmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:43:12 -0400 (EDT)

Hi!

I have a very simple question.  Given one DHCP request with options
in it, can you have multiple instances of options of the same type?

For instance if you had 2 User Class option fields for some reason, be
it that a client was trying to pass more information than the single
option field would allow, or it made a mistake.  What should the
behaviour of the DHCP server be?

-Dave

----------------------------------
Dave Erdmann
Nortel Networks, NetID Group
mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 13:17:56 -0400 (EDT)

> in it, can you have multiple instances of options of the same type?

There's really no provision for this in the protocol, no.   If you
want to be able to claim more than one user class, you need to figure
out a way to do it in a single user class option.   For example, send
sales+winnt4+building-a in the user class option, and have your DHCP
server know to split this into three classes.   The ISC DHCP server
could be easily tweaked to handle things this way, and it shouldn't be
a problem to enter the user class into your client this way.

			       _MelloN_