Subject: [dhcwg] info request

From: Luca Colombrita <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:46:56 +0100

good morning, my name is luca and i work for the university of 
torino.installing a dhcp server i've got the necessity to renew very often 
the configuration of the clients, it's necessary for me to to give or to 
deny the dns address. i wrote a script that kills the dhcp service and 
reload it with the properly configuration allowing or denying the machines 
to go in internet. the problem is that i'm not able to change the client ip 
address while the lease time is not expired. i'v been trying with a batch 
file in the automatic execution on the clients win98 that makes a
ipconfig/release_all
ipconfig/renew_all

and it works quite fine, but the problem is that losing the ip address the 
clients lose also the network connection with our novell server. i tried to 
patch it using the ipx protocol as the preferred by the client, but we 
alsowant to abandon this kind of protocol.
Shutting down the client is not enough if the lease time is not expired 
even if the dhcp configuration file is been updated to  the new 
configuration. Is there a possibility to renew the ip address without 
loosing the network connection?
best regards
Luca Colombrita
University of Torino

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg