Subject: [dhcwg] draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-ctep-opt-00.txt

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 15:57:57 -0500

Hi All,

In preparing for today's meeting, I read 
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-ctep-opt-00.txt.  I have two nits and one 
question, none of which require face-to-face discussion, so I just 
thought I'd send them to the list.  The question actually applies to 
most DHCP options, not just this one.

First, two nits:

In the diagram in section 4, the first prefix length is shown as 9 
bits long.  I think it should be 8 bits long.

Also, the text below that diagram does not indicate how the prefix 
length is expressed.  I believe that it is the length of the prefix 
in bits, but it should say so.

Now the question:

Most of the DHCP options I've seen have a section like this:

>   5. Appearance of this option 
>      
>      The Configured Tunnel End Point Option MUST NOT appear in other 
>      than the following messages:  Solicit, Advertise, Request, Renew,
>      Rebind, Information-Request and Reply.
>      
>      The option numbers of Configured Tunnel End Point option MAY appear
>      in the Option Request Option [1] in the following messages:  Solicit,
>      Request, Renew, Rebind, Information-Request and Reconfigure.

Why is this type of section necessary?  Do different options appear 
in different messages types (the ones I've seen are the same AFAIR). 
What are the criteria for deciding which types of options can appear 
in which message types?  What happens if they appear in other message 
types?

Either this information is redundant with the base DHCP 
specifications or it is underspecified, and I'm not sure which.

Thanks,
Margaret

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg