Subject: [dhcwg] Unplanned renumbering scenarios

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 15:43:51 -0000

With regard to draft-chown-dhc-stateless-dhcpv6-renumbering-00, I'm
having problems getting to grips with the concept of an 'unplanned'
renumbering scenario. As far as I can see the only time this makes sense
is if there is a set of config information that cannot be propagated
until it is required - why would this ever be the case? Changming
described a scenario that seemed to fit this, but as has been pointed
out on the list, there are alternative, much better solutions to address
this.

Other possible scenarios for unplanned renumbering events might be where
the config information is outwith the control of the DHCPv6 admin. How
likely is that? Are there many network operators that change DNS server
addresses on their subscribers without telling them in advance? If it's
a case of having multiple paths for redundancy or whatever, then
advertise the combined info.

Essentially I'm not sure that the concept of an 'unplanned' event is
relevant in this context.

Mat.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 11:01:11 -0600

The usual context for an unplanned event is that the power supply in 
your DNS server melts and you need to quickly switch to another DNS 
server.   I.e., it's an unusual situation.