Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Minimum size of a dhcp message

From: "Rob Stevens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:37:19 -0700

Barr Hibbs and I are working on an update to RFC2131 and many of the
issues will be described in the draft
"draft-ietf-dhc-implementation-01" (forthcoming).

Our recommendation there is that the minimum size of a DHCP packet
MUST be 300 octets.
This is based solely on the stated design goal that DHCP be largely
compatible with BOOTP, and this requirement was imposed on BOOTP
(RFC951).

Why the original BOOTP stipulated this requirement is hard to say, but
in the past certain routers were known to drop BOOTP packets with a
smaller size. I have no idea whether this is true today, but I think
we should stick with the historical requirement.

Rob Stevens

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg