Subject: [dhcwg] draft-ietf-dhc-subscriber-id

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:38:57 -0400

draft-ietf-dhc-subscriber-id-06.txt includes a statement that the IETF
has been notified about IPR claimed in regard to this specification.

The only IPR statement currently published on www.ietf.org regarding
draft-ietf-dhc-subscriber-id-06.txt is from PacketFront,
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/PacketFront-IPR.txt.  In this statement,
PacketFront agrees "to license, on reasonable and non-discriminatory terms,
any related PacketFront patents to the extent required to comply with the
standard."

When this IPR statement was first pointed out to the dhc WG, the WG
decided to put the document on hold because of the RAND licensing
terms.  The IETF Executive Director has tried to contact PacketFront
to obtain a clarification of the IPR statement, and I (acting as
dhc WG chair) have asked PacketFront to change their IPR statement
to grant royalty-free licenses for the use of this technology.
PacketFront has not responded to either the IETF Executive Director
or to me.

This document is now in front of the IESG.  The consensus at the WG meeting
in San Diego was to allow the document to progress with the RAND licensing
IPR statement, due to the lack of response from PacketFront.  If there is
any objection from the WG to allowing the document to progress, please
respond to the dhcwg mailing list by 5PM EDT, 2004-08-13.

- Ralph

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:30:29 +0200 (CEST)

> PacketFront has not responded to either the IETF Executive Director

That is correct, we have not responded directly to you or the IETF Executive 
Director.

Our legal office sent the following message on June 30th to the ietf-
[email-masked] e-mail address (and received an automatic response that the 
message had been received [Inquiry #5374]). I am sure you should have been 
included in the sendlist but for some reason was not. We have not been 
intentionally unresponsive but I apologize for not including you in the 
original update.

It would be nice though to understand why the content of this message was not 
also published on the IETF IPR web-page when it was received. 

I hope this e-mail will clarify the situation enough for the WG to proceed as 
it see fit. As far as PacketFront is concerned we believe that this statement 
is sufficiently clear and that the IPR issues with the subscriber-id draft are 
now resolved to the extent they can be.

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Mats Jonsson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Skickat: den 30 juni 2004 14:13
Till: [email-masked]'
Ämne: Regarding draft-ietf-dhc-subscriber-id-06.

Based on a request from the IETF Dynamic Host Configuration WG, PacketFront
Sweden AB hereby would like to make an additional update of its IPR
notification from April 17, 2003 and January 29, 2004. 

The document draft-ietf-dhc-subscriber-id-06.txt describes technology or
solutions for which PacketFront has related patents or patent applications
pending.

If a document based on this draft becomes an IETF standard PacketFront is
prepared to provide a royalty-free license, on otherwise reasonable and
non-discriminatory terms based on reciprocity (grant back), any related
PacketFront patents to the extent required to comply with the standard.

Stockholm June 30, 2004

PacketFront Sweden AB

Mats Jonsson