Subject: [dhcwg] How does DHCP client know when it's at home?

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 19:57:02 +0200

Regarding the MIPv6 HA option, it was suggested that client would use
this when at home, and ignore the option if it gets something when not
at home.

I don't understand how a client can know when it's at home, are there
any mechanisms for that?

If it is, it might be more useful to also have DHCP options for things
like POP/IMAP servers etc where you want to learn the addresses when
at home, and keep using the same when away.

Stig

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 13:55:32 -0700

Hi Stig,

> this when at home, and ignore the option if it gets something when not

Unfortunately that is not accurate. I should have corrected that at the
meeting.

The current I-D has the provision to deliver home agent info that
pertains to the currently visited network, or a remote network. The MNId
is used to convey the domain the information should pertain to. My MN
should be able to say "get me a home agent from the access network I'm
visiting", or "give me a home agent from anotherdomain.com". 

> at home, and keep using the same when away.

Alper