Subject: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 and Relay-to-Server Multicasting ...

From: "John Spence, CCSI, CCNA, CISSP" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 12:22:36 -0800

Hello;

Does DHCPv6, using site-local multicast support for the relay-to-server
traffic (FF05::1:3), assume that the servers are running MLD, and that there
is a multicast RP in the network - as would be common for more traditional
multicast applications (like one-to-many video streaming)?  I see in the RFC
that the relays *may* be configured with the unicast addresses of the
servers, but they need not be - and the default is to use the site-local
multicast capability.

I'm envisioning this scenario.  Suppose we have 1000 DHCPv6 clients, and a
100 vLAN network, with DHCPv6 servers in the core and relays around the
edges.  Suppose we have 100 relays and 3 servers, and we'll assume that the
relay support is not built into the routers - the relays are standalone
platforms.

I do not see any way to get site-local multicast packets from the relays to
the servers without an end-to-end traditional MLD/PIM multicast-enabled
infrastructure.  Is that right, or is there another mechanism at work here,
or another document that covers how DHCPv6 and multicast are related?

Thanks for any clues or pointers.

John Spence
----------------------------------------------------
John Spence, CCSI, CCNA, CISSP
Native6, Inc.
IPv6 Training and Consulting
[email-masked]
www.native6.com
----------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg