Subject: [dhcwg] DHCP client changes subnet

From: "Wilke Frank" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:22:49 +0100

Hi,

I have one question concerning subnet changes:

How does a DHCP client detect a subnet change? Does it perform a DHCP Renew?

This process is not quite clear to me. Can you help me?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Best Regards

Frank Wilke

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Kostur, Andre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 07:46:58 -0800

The device must somehow determine when it may have potentially changed
subnets first.  Usually either due to the device being rebooted, or coming
out of some sort of sleep or hibernation mode, or if it has detected that
its network link has been broken and restored (ie: ethernet cable unplugged,
then plugged back in).  At this point the DHCP client should transition to
the INIT-REBOOT state and would broadcast a DHCP REQUEST with the CIADDR of
0 and a RequestedIP option of the IP address of what it thinks its current
lease is.  If the device has not actually changed subnets, the DHCP server
will respond with a DHCP ACK.  If the device has actually changed subnets,
the DHCP server will respond with a DHCP NAK, and the device would then
transition to the INIT state and start the whole DHCP process over with a
new DHCP DISCOVER.

-----Original Message-----
From: Wilke Frank [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 3:23 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] DHCP client changes subnet

Hi,