Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Consensus for WG last call fordraft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option-05.txt

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:04:09 -0500

There are a few minor issues that probably should be addressed:

1. Reference to DHCP Relay Suboption?

   Any VSS information contained in a DHCP Relay Suboption SHOULD
   override the information contained in this VSS Information option

There should be a reference to the VSS DHCP Relay Suboption? Is there
such a RFC/I-D (I didn't see it though I didn't look that hard). If
there is no such RFC/I-D, best to remove this text and let a later draft
specify this? Note that this suboption is mentioned in multiple places
(including the IANA Considerations section).

Minor: No period at end of sentence.

2. I wonder whether the second paragraph of the abstract shouldn't be
moved to the IANA considerations section? Seems to me that this draft is
requesting that IANA officially assigned option 221 to this option.

   The option number currently in use is 221.  This memo documents the
   current usage of the option in agreement with RFC-3942[7] , which
   declares that any pre-existing usages of option numbers in the range
   128 - 223 should be documented and the working group will try to
   officially assign those numbers to those options.

Perhaps the draft should specify TBD for the option number in the
earlier sections and then add something like the following in the IANA
Considerations section:

   IANA is requested to assign option number 221 for this option, in
   accordance with RFC-3942[7]. Option 221 has been used for this option
   and there were no conflicting users of option 221 identified during
   the 6-month notification period specified in RFC-3942.

3. I also believe the IANA section needs something like:

   IANA is requested to start a VSS option type number registry with the
   initial assignments as specified in section 2 of this document.
Future
   type values may only be defined by IETF Consensus, as described in
[6].   

- Bernie

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> On Behalf Of Stig Venaas
> Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 5:00 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [dhcwg] Consensus for WG last call 
> fordraft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option-05.txt
> 
> The chairs believe draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option-05.txt is ready for WG
> last call.
> 
> If there are no objections posted to the WG mailing list, the chairs
> will start a WG last call for this draft on 2005-12-08.
> 
> Stig
> 
> _______________________________________________
> dhcwg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
> 

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg