Subject: [dhcwg] the WG draft on "domain suffix" option

From: "CTO YAN Renxiang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:27:27 +0800

Dear all,
 
The WG last call on "Domain suffix option for DHCPv6" is on going.
 
If you have read this documents and/or contributed your comments, could you please respond to this last call?  As you all know, if there is little discussion, the document will not be advanced to the IESG. 
 
So I strongly urge anyone who is interested in the document make their voice be heard. You comments, either positive or negative, are always appreciated.
 
Regards,
-Renxiang
 <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain-00.txt>  
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 20:35:26 -0700

On Monday 12 December 2005 19:27, CTO YAN Renxiang wrote:
> If you have read this documents and/or contributed your comments, could you
> please respond to this last call?  As you all know, if there is little
> discussion, the document will not be advanced to the IESG.

Thanks for the reminder - I meant to reply to your previous request, but it 
got lost in the noise.

I have read the document, and I'd like to see it go forward, but there is one 
part of the document that I believe is incorrect and needs to be fixed before 
it advances:

   In stateful DHCPv6 [RFC3315], the DHCPv6 server MAY place a domain
   suffix option in the options field of IA_PD option [RFC3363] in an
   outgoing DHCPv6 message.  The DHCPv6 server MUST NOT place a domain
   suffix option in any other portion of a stateful DHCPv6 message.

So this essentially forbids the use of the domain suffix option in a stateful 
DHCPv6 message between a regular DHCPv6 client and server.   Can you explain 
why this makes sense?   To me it seems perfectly valid to send this option in 
a regular DHCP message.   Also, why only in the IA_PD options field?   It 
makes more sense to me to send it in the global options field, like any other 
DHCPv6 option, unless its value is different for a particular IA_NA or IA_PD 
option, in which case you would send the different values in each individual 
IA_NA or IA_PD option.