Subject: [dhcwg] DHCP - VLANS

From: "Mungamuru, Sasi Kiran Kumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 18:59:07 +0530

Hi,

How would DHCP differentiates requests which are coming from different
vlans and assign appropriate vlan base address to clients.

Thanks,
Sasi.
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Andre Kostur <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:21:05 -0800

> vlans and assign appropriate vlan base address to clients.

Depends on how your VLANs are set-up I suppose.  Generally speaking, 
each VLAN is treated as a distinct physical LAN segment, so you would 
need a DHCP relay on each VLAN.  Then it all falls under the normal DHCP 
processing logic (the relay inserts its own IP address into the DHCP 
packet before forwarding it to the DHCP server, the DHCP server can use 
that IP address to determine which IP space to allocate addresses from).