Subject: [dhcwg] IPv4 addresses in DHCPv6 options

From: Bud Millwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:24:02 +0100

Has this subject been discussed?

I was implementing a general input/output mechanism for the dhcpv6 user_class 
option and it occured to me that if you length-prefixed each address element 
in a dhcpv6 option (like the user_class option does for its elements), then 
you could easily intermix both ipv4 and ipv6 addresses in the option.

Has a mechanism for doing this been worked out, and if not, what about this 
one?

- Bud

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:30:25 -0700

> Has a mechanism for doing this been worked out, and if not, what about this

There's actually a draft poking around from Tim Chown that talks about this.

In general I personally don't think it's a good idea - if you have IPv6 
connectivity on your network, why is it partial, and if it is not partial, 
why put an IPv4 address in an IPv6 packet at all?

But be that as it may, you can always send an IPv4 address represented as an 
IPv6 address.

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:18:56 +0000

> There's actually a draft poking around from Tim Chown that talks about this.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dual-stack-04.txt
 
and drafty text arising from that

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dual-stack-merge-01.txt

-- 
Tim/::1

---

From: Bud Millwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:27:04 +0100

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 11:18, Tim Chown wrote:
> > > Has a mechanism for doing this been worked out, and if not, what about
> > > this one?
> >

Thanks for the info (Tim, Ted). I'll digest this for a while.

- Bud