Subject: [dhcwg] Using DHCP to thwart the theft of computers

From: "Tom Loveday" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:37:31 -0800

Hello,

This is a high level idea for implementation into DHCP.

The increase in the numbers of computers has resulted in an increase of
computers connected to broadband services as well as an increase in the
thefts of those computers. I think increase is stating it mildly; explosion
might be a better term.    

Another recent trend has been the inclusion of the NIC on the motherboard of
most computers. Rendering the MAC address as a unique signature associated
with a single computer.  By establishing a central repository for the MAC
addresses of stolen computers and implementing a simple check of that
repository in DHCP, we could put a dent in the theft of computers.  

There are significant problems to overcome.  The size of the repository, if
not implemented correctly would be a problem. Also, the use of private
networks is another stumbling block.  However, it is my belief that these
issues can be overcome.   For example, it would not be the responsibility of
the DHCP server to wait for a response from the repository, after the MAC
address is submitted, no further action is required.  The repository would
be responsible for determining if the MAC is from a stolen device and
submitting the salient information to the appropriate law enforcement
agency.  

So what information is needed to properly identify a stolen computer well
enough to locate it?  I would think the public IP, the fqdn and the
identification of the ISP would be sufficient, but that is not my area of
expertise.  The existence of a MAC from a stolen computer on their network
should be enough to obtain a warrant for the client information associated
with the stolen MAC.

Think about it, for the cost of transmitting a single packet to a stolen MAC
repository, we could greatly increase the chance of recovery of stolen
network devices.  I would like to work with your group and others toward
implementing this mechanism within DHCP.

Regards

Tom Loveday

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg