Subject: [dhcwg] Using DHCP to thwart the theft of computers

From: "Tom Loveday" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:37:31 -0800

Hello,

This is a high level idea for implementation into DHCP.

The increase in the numbers of computers has resulted in an increase of
computers connected to broadband services as well as an increase in the
thefts of those computers. I think increase is stating it mildly; explosion
might be a better term.    

Another recent trend has been the inclusion of the NIC on the motherboard of
most computers. Rendering the MAC address as a unique signature associated
with a single computer.  By establishing a central repository for the MAC
addresses of stolen computers and implementing a simple check of that
repository in DHCP, we could put a dent in the theft of computers.  

There are significant problems to overcome.  The size of the repository, if
not implemented correctly would be a problem. Also, the use of private
networks is another stumbling block.  However, it is my belief that these
issues can be overcome.   For example, it would not be the responsibility of
the DHCP server to wait for a response from the repository, after the MAC
address is submitted, no further action is required.  The repository would
be responsible for determining if the MAC is from a stolen device and
submitting the salient information to the appropriate law enforcement
agency.