Subject: [dhcwg] DHCPv4 renew or rebind on unknown lease: send DHCPNAK?

From: Simon Kelley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:33:40 +0000

A DHCP server receives a DHCPREQUEST without a requested IP option (ie 
from a client in RENEW or REBIND state) and it can't find the 
corresponding lease in its database.

The address being renewed is not in use by another host, and otherwise 
OK to allocate. Is it OK to simply add the lease to the database and 
return a DHCPACK as if nothing was wrong, or should the server always 
send a DHCPNAK?

Patching the database and continuing makes recovery from loss of a DHCP 
lease database much less painful, and I can't think of any negative 
consequences. Have I missed something?

Cheers,

Simon.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 08:46:40 -0700

> consequences. Have I missed something?

Nope.   Just make sure the address is actually yours to allocate, but if it is 
it's fine to just allocate it.