Subject: Re: [dhcwg] New ID for DHC Option to supply Emergency Dialstring

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:40:24 -0500

Hi James, list, 

Not clear if this is the right list, but here goes....   A couple of 
things. 

One, I like this approach and think it is potentially very useful even 
outside of what we would normally think of as public emergency calling (eg 
E911, ECRIT etc).  Inside an enterprise it could also be highly useful to 
convey the appropriate strings to use for site-specific emergency calls 
within the enterprise, for example the security desk, chemical spill team, 
etc.  DHCP makes a lot of sense for this, since it is driven at layer 2 
and hence is naturally geographically scoped appropriately, and is also 
universally well understood by network administrators. 

Second, I have some technical concerns on the format as currently 
proposed, related to countrycode.  It seems to me there may be countries 
where additional jurisdictional sub-divisions (eg state, county) would be 
required to resolve meaning of particular service IDs and related dial 
string, within that region.  Possibly there could be larger regions as 
well, such as EU vs a specific country within the EU.  I'm concerned there 
could be region-specific cases where: i) there could be a different string 
value for the same service type, ii) a different service type for the same 
string or iii) service types and strings that are applicable only in some 
regions.  If you consider also using this for similar applications within 
an enterprise, then I think finer granularity would also be required.  (I 
reserve the right to change my mind on the latter point, or have someone 
else change it for me.)  These are certainly not insurmountable concerns. 

Peter Blatherwick

"James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
09.03.06 19:17

        To:     [email-masked]
        cc:     [email-masked]
        Subject:        [dhcwg] New ID for DHC Option to supply Emergency Dialstring

DHC WG

I have written a new ID into this WG calling for a new Option to download 
the local emergency calling dialstring, with country code, and a service 
identifier (for countries that have more than one emergency 
dialstring).  It can be viewed here:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-polk-dhc-emergency-dialstring-option-00.txt 

This option has local significance that normal voice or video or instant 
messaging device registration doesn't provide, an aspect of local 
connectivity.  This information could be used to add to a device's 
digit-map for what number or numbers constitute an emergency call attempt.

Your comments are appreciated

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:48:26 +0000

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-polk-dhc-emergency-dialstring-option-00.txt 

Mr. Polk, as I read the contents of this document I find that the meat of
it still appears to me to be an outline (and it sounds a great deal like
stuff you jotted down while learning DHCP protocol internals rather than
really stuff we want to have in a new option document - things where
instead it's better to just reference the current protocol documents).

So, is this in a state that's ready for protocol level review, or
should I defer my comments?

-- 
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.		-- Jack T. Hankins