Subject: RE: [dhcwg] timezone draft

From: "Brzozowski, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 23:06:53 -0500

Eliot,

As you, myself, and Paul discussed offline I too like option #2.
Largely because of the reason you cite which we also discussed.
Reducing administration and automating how time zone information is
generated and ultimately offered to clients seems desirable.  I too
would like to participate in the discussions, if you do not mind.

Thanks,

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Eliot Lear [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 12:35 PM
To: Stig Venaas
Cc: [email-masked]; Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] timezone draft

Stig,
> Right, so how does the server decide which sub-options to include, 
> does it necessarily know which version can be mapped to something the 
> client natively understands? Or do you suggest it just includes 
> multiple sub-options? I think there should be some text discussing
this.
I've been evolving my thinking on this question for some time, but
haven't come to a conclusion.  Initially my thoughts were that the
server would need some flexibility here, but I'm not so sure.

I think there are two possible answers to your question:

   1. In a limited environment the server is configured to send what the
      clients will use.  For instance, a small office might just send
      POSIX and Microsoft.
   2. In a broader environment the DHCP server does a conversion from
      the TZ database to the other formats and sends those.  While there
      has been no mapping from TZ to Microsoft, it's probably not hard
      to do, and POSIX strings can be generated from TZ.  This only
      requires processing power when these values are changed.  An in
      memory table with a simple lookup can be done.

I prefer option two because it should involve less administrator
involvement.  But it does raise a question.  If everyone agrees that's
the best approach, should we go with a different format option that
doesn't make use of suboptions, but instead just provides three
elements, two of which are variable length.  I think this is a ripe
issue for discussion.

Eliot

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg