Subject: [dhcwg] Fw: A question about DHCP and MIPv4

From: Song Yi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:54:39 +0800

hi all:
    Sorry for disturbing you again.Can someone help me and tell me the answer of the question below.
Thanks a lot!
----- Original Message ----- 
From: Song Yi 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 5:00 PM
Subject: A question about DHCP and MIPv4

Hi all:
    Sorry for interrupting you.May I ask a question about DHCP and MIPv4?
    My question is:
    In MIPv4, how could DHCP servers exchange DHCP information (such as Renewal (T1) Time Value)when a host moves from one subnet to another subnet?The figure below describes the scenario:

Best Regards.
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:39:16 -0700

>     In MIPv4, how could DHCP servers exchange DHCP information (such as Renewal (T1) Time Value)when a host moves from one subnet to another subnet?The figure below describes the scenario:

I suspect no one answered because (or at least this was my reason) we
know very little about MIPv4 and don't want to misguide anyone.

I do know that there are no protocol relationships inbetween DHCP
servers in different administrative domains at this time.  So any
information passed inbetween them would have to be carried by the
DHCP client (such as by supplying a lease-time option which in
turn might affect the T1 value the remote server would offer).

Within a single administrative domain, that is where one common
sysadmin or operator is in place, the operator can configure each
server consistently - so each gives the client the desired addressing
information.  Additionally, there is a protocol called 'failover'
that is in draft, but this ties at most two servers together and
causes them to act as a single server (not what it sounds like
you're after, but if you're looking to retain the same addresses,
maybe it is).

-- 
ISC Training!  October 16-20, 2006, in the San Francisco Bay Area,
covering topics from DNS to DDNS & DHCP.  Email [email-masked].
-- 
David W. Hankins	"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer		you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.	-- Jack T. Hankins
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg