Subject: [dhcwg] [Question] RFC3315 Reconfigure message with IA option

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:20:51 +0900

Hi all,

I found discrepancy in treating IA option in Reconfigure message.

RFC3315 says,
-----------------------
19.1.1. Creation and Transmission of Reconfigure Messages
(snip)

   The server MAY include an Option Request option to inform the client
   of what information has been changed or new information that has been
   added.  In particular, the server specifies the IA option in the
   Option Request option if the server wants the client to obtain new
   address information.  If the server identifies the IA option in the
   Option Request option, the server MUST include an IA option that
   contains no other sub-options to identify each IA that is to be
   reconfigured on the client.
-----------------------

This means that if a server wants a client to obtain new address,
the server must include an IA option in Reconfigure message, right?

But RFC3315 A.Apperane of Options in Message Types says,
-----------------------
A. Appearance of Options in Message Types

   The following table indicates with a "*" the options are allowed in
   each DHCP message type:

           Client Server IA_NA  Option Pref  Time Relay Auth. Server
             ID     ID   IA_TA  Request            Msg.       Unica.
   Solicit   *             *      *           *           *
   Advert.   *      *      *            *                 *
   Request   *      *      *      *           *           *
   Confirm   *             *      *           *           *
   Renew     *      *      *      *           *           *
   Rebind    *             *      *           *           *
   Decline   *      *      *      *           *           *
   Release   *      *      *      *           *           *
   Reply     *      *      *            *                 *     *
   Reconf.   *      *             *                       *
   Inform.   * (see note)         *           *           *
   R-forw.                                          *     *
   R-repl.                                          *     *
---------------------------

It says that IA option should not appear in Reconfigure message, right?

I think that IA option of  "A. Appearance of Options in Message Types"
should be marked as *.

What do you think?

Best regards,

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 08:50:43 -0400

Hideshi:

Those appendicies contain several errors and should be ignored, IMHO.
For a RFC 3315-bis, we need to either clean them up or remove them.

>the server must include an IA option in Reconfigure message, right?

That's not the way I interprete that section. I read it to mean that if
the Reconfigure's Reconfigure Message option contains the Renew vs an
Information-Request code, the client would initiate the appropriate
request. If there are IA option codes in the OPTIONAL ORO (and IA
options) in the Reconfigure, they may tell the client renew (or
info-request) only that information rather than "everything".

So, if the client gets a Reconfigure w/Reconfigure Message = Renew and
without IA in ORO and IA options, it would renew *ALL* IAs for that
interface. If there are IA options, only renew those (instead of all).

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 10:21 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] [Question] RFC3315 Reconfigure message with IA option

Hi all,

RFC3315 says,
-----------------------

What do you think?

Best regards,