Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Proposal for experimental DHCP option

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 15:06:17 +0000

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 12:03:27PM +0100, Giuseppe Patern? (Gippa) wrote:
> I am totally wrong on my draft: it was option 96 ... I proposed to
> reuse the same of the LDAP draft, but that's a IANA final decision.
> They wouldn't allow me a DHCP option code unless this working group
> approves the draft as experimental. My apologies for the miswriting.
> Also it is interesting the fact of using null to separate different
> URLs, I didn't thought about that. What do the ML think?

We currently don't have any 'dhcp formats' which are represented by
null terminated values that could then be formed into an array.

I am also, by all accounts, a lazy bastard, so I would prefer not to
have to write any code to implement any such devices without very good
reasons.

So it would be my preference to separate multiple URLs with spaces,
and to therefore require the use of URL presentation formatting's
%-escapes if spaces were required within the URLs.

This may not be the most aesthetic, but I think it is the most
reverse compatible.

-- 
David W. Hankins	"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer		you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.	-- Jack T. Hankins

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 11:22:30 -0700

> null terminated values that could then be formed into an array.

So you're saying that, for example, there is no domain search list option?

---

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 21:12:21 +0000

> So you're saying that, for example, there is no domain search list option?

No.