Subject: Re: Teredo for reducing search space (was: [dhcwg] Review of draft-ietf-v6ops-scanning-implications)

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 16:32:37 +0100

Teredo and 6to4 are listed in "Transition Methods".

I would list knowledge of Teredo right in the section "Reducing the IPv6
Search Space".  An IPv6 worm knowing an IPv4 hitlist address could try
the full /128 IPv6 as a hitlist address too.

/64 Teredo Node Identifier not only uses the IPv4 address to derive the
IPv6 address but also a UDP port number (not mentioned in the draft, it
just says "2002:V4ADDR::V4ADDR").  Teredo also offers to discover all
Teredo Clients within a subnet, via a publicly-known reserved IPv4
multicast address.  A worm would take advantage of that too, to reduce
number of scans.

Alex

Fred Baker wrote:
> The v6ops working group is approaching a working group last call on 
> draft-ietf-v6ops-scanning-implications within the coming few weeks.
> We would appreciate a review from your working group of this document
>  before we do so. How that is done is up to you; you may designate
> one or more reviewers, or simply conduct the review on your mailing
> list, or whatever else suits you. But please respond to the authors
> copying v6ops within the coming four weeks if you would.
> 
> Thank you for your help in this.
> 
> _______________________________________________ dhcwg mailing list 
> [email-masked] https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
> 

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg