Subject: RE: [dhcwg] WG last calls on several WG documents

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 14:45:50 -0500

I'm a bit confused as to why we need this much support just for a WG
Last Call.

I thought that the WG Last Call would be where we'd need to assure the
required support before advancing documents on to an IESG Last Call?

RFC 2418 is a bit unclear as to exactly what can trigger a WG Last Call,
but the "in most cases" clause is what I recall being used in the past?

7.4. Working Group Last-Call

   When a WG decides that a document is ready for publication it may be
   submitted to the IESG for consideration. In most cases the
   determination that a WG feels that a document is ready for
   publication is done by the WG Chair issuing a working group Last-
   Call.  The decision to issue a working group Last-Call is at the
   discretion of the WG Chair working with the Area Director.  A working
   group Last-Call serves the same purpose within a working group that
   an IESG Last-Call does in the broader IETF community (see [1]).

As we now have two WG chairs and thus two sets of opinions, is there a
need for a tie breaking decision between the two chairs that is
triggering this (and based on the text this is done with the AD)?

Or is there some other uncertainty that exists with regards to these
drafts?

And, given that if we get the support now, we'll have to get it again
during the WG Last Call anyway?

Also, from the San Diego meeting minutes:

WG last call:
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate-01
draft-volz-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option-00

                                                                The
  consensus in the room was that the documents are ready to go to WG
  last call; the consensus will be confirmed on the WG mailing list
  after draft-volz-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option-00 is republished as dhc WG
  work item draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option-00 and
  draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate-01 is revised with some
  editorial changes based on draft-volz-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option-00.

draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-ero-00

  The consensus in the room was that the document is ready to go to WG
  last call; consensus will be confirmed on the WG mailing list

draft-ietf-dhc-dhcvp6-leasequery-00

                                                                 The
  consensus in the room was that the document is ready go to WG last
  call; consensus will be confirmed on the WG mailing list.

No one raised any objections to going to last call (either at the San
Deigo meeting or on the mailing list).

Or is there a new procedure in place? I didn't find any RFC 2418 bis
document (except for 3934 on mailing lists)?

(On the other hand, delaying has allowed for new versions of
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate-02 and now
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcvp6-leasequery-01. So, perhaps it is not all bad.)

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Droms (rdroms) 
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 12:57 PM
To: dhcwg
Cc: Stig Venaas
Subject: [dhcwg] WG last calls on several WG documents

3rd try - So far, we've only received responses as summarized below.  We
need additional positive support (from others than draft authors!) to
move
forward with these draft.

- Ralph

=====

We need to confirm WG consensus in support of holding WG last calls on
several dhc WG documents that were discussed at the WG meeting in San
Diego.

The first four of these documents are:

draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate-01
  DHCPv6 Relay Agent Assignment Notification (RAAN) Option
      Yes - Fred Templin
      Yes - David Hankins
      Yes - John Brzozowski
      Yes - Bernie Volz (author)

draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option-00
  DHCPv6 Server Reply Sequence Number Option

      Yes - Fred Templin
      No opinion - David Hankins
      Yes - John Brzozowski
      Yes - Bernie Volz (author)

draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-ero-00
  DHCPv6 Relay Agent Echo Request Option

      No opinion - Fred Templin
      Yes - David Hankins
      Yes - John Brzozowski (author)
      Yes - Bernie Volz (author)

draft-ietf-dhc-dhcvp6-leasequery-00
  DHCPv6 Leasequery

      No opinion - Fred Templin
      Yes - David Hankins
      Yes - John Brzozowski (author)
      Yes - Bernie Volz (author)

If you have any objections to a WG last call for any of these documents,
please respond to the mailing list.  If you are in agreement that these
documents are ready for WG last call, send a positive ACK to the mailing
list so we can assess support for those last calls.  We will review the
responses received by Mon, Nov 27 and initiate the supported WG last
calls
at that time.

- Ralph

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg