Subject: [dhcwg] DHCPv4, 576 bytes, MMS option, blah blah blah.

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 09:37:43 -0700

Every now and then,

	http://marc.info/?l=dhcp-users&m=117580433414142&w=2

we see a client packet that is 604 bytes in length, but pads
nearly all those bytes to zero.  This isn't the only odd thing
we see...

The '576 byte minimum size' and 'maximum message size' should
be very core, easy to understand tenets of basic DHCPv4
operation...but we keep seeing varying (and incompatible)
interpretations.

Is DHCPv4 going to need a 'bis' document to progress in its
standards track?

Can we revive Barr Hibbs' document?  I think he got stuck on
some issues on which the WG couldn't agree, and lack of review.

If we defined a 'relay<->server' message size negotiation (a
feature I think DHCPv4 lacks), could protocol clarifications
for the client also 'tag along', or is that too weird?

I suspect a clarifying document on its own would more or less
go unnoticed.

-- 
David W. Hankins	"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer		you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.	-- Jack T. Hankins
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg