Subject: [dhcwg] dhcp network problem

From: Bert Verhaeghe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 23:22:03 +0200

Hi all,

I have the follwing problem.

For a company a DHCP server is residing in the network of the
headquarter.  This server should give IP addresses to clients on the
network of the headquarter as well as to clients on the networks of
the branch offices.

Clients in the branch offices their DHCP broadcast requests, are
relayed through CISCO swithes to the headquarter network with the help
of IP Helper. Now this is where the problem arises.  How can be
determined which IP address should be given to a client?

For instance the following network topology :

headquarter                 10.10.11.0/24
branch office °1            10.10.12.0/24
branch office °2            10.10.13.0/25

When a representative is in the network of the headquarter most of the
time, a fixed lease could be given based on the MAC of his laptop so
that the laptop receives an IP in the 10.10.11.0 network is given.
But what if the representative often travels around between the
different offices?  How can be determined which network the
representative's laptop resides in?  If the representative resides in
the second branch office, the laptop should receive an IP in the
10.10.13.0 network, but how can this be realized?  And is this
possible with the ISC dhcp server?

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 23:49:37 -0400

This is usually handled without issue as "relayed through CISCO swithes to the headquarter network with the help
of IP Helper." means that the giaddr should be set accordingly and the DHCP server should thus know where the clients are.

For example, the switch should set giaddr to a 10.10.12.0/24 address when clients connected to that network broadcast DHCP requests.

You should contact your DHCP server software vendor for additional help.

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: Bert Verhaeghe [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] dhcp network problem

Hi all,