Subject: [dhcwg] dhc wg last call on draft-ietf-dhc-pxelinux-01

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:40:09 +0200

This message announces a dhc wg last call on "PXELINUX Use of 'Site
Local' Option Space" <draft-ietf-dhc-pxelinux-01.txt>.  The last call
will conclude at 1700EDT on Mon, 2007-07-09.

Please respond to this WG last call.  If you support acceptance of the
document without change, respond with a simple acknowledgment, so that
support for the document can be assessed.  Lack of discussion does not
represent positive support.  If there is no expression of support for
acceptance during the WG last call, the document will not be advanced
to the IESG.

draft-ietf-dhc-pxelinux-01 is in response to the process of
reclassifying site-specific options, RFC 3942, and describes the use
by PXELINUX of some DHCP Option Codes numbering from 208-211.  These
codes were designated 'Site Local' prior to this action, and are
redefined by RFC 3942 as available for allocation as standard DHCP
Options.

Stig

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 15:01:50 -0400

> redefined by RFC 3942 as available for allocation as standard DHCP

As the developer of PXELINUX, I support this document, and greatly 
appreciate David's efforts in preparing it.

	-hpa

---

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 17:19:28 -0400

I fully support this document moving forward.

I suggest that perhaps:

   1.  Move DHCPv4 Option code 208 from 'Tentatively Assigned' to
       'Unassigned, Last Resort'.  It is hoped that Unassigned DHCP
       Option Codes (that had never been Tentatively Assigned) SHOULD be
       allocated prior to assigning this option code, but otherwise
       SHOULD be allocated before any option code that has been
       Tentatively Assigned, or Assigned.

Also might recommend that this option code (even as a last resort) not
be used for a future purpose that could result in the magic value
appearing in the option? Though we'll probably long have forgotten this!

Therefore, I think it makes more sense to just allocate 208 to PXELINUX,
but call it a deprecated option. Then if 10 years from now we're out of
option codes, we could reclaim it. But, if we never need it, no harm
done. I also think this is easier than tagging it as "last resort".

This of course also impacts section 3.4, which would have to be
reworded.

A couple of nits:

1. Rename section 6 to "Reboot Time Option".

   3.  MAGIC Option . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
   4.  Configuration File Option  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
   5.  Path Prefix Option . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  6
   6.  Option 211 - Reboot Time . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8

2. Perhaps the title should just be "PXELINUX Options"? As 'Site Local'
are now redefined (per RFC 3942) and as this just documents the PXELINUX
usage.

I don't think there would be need to respind this document for any of
these (if adopted) - they can be handled as notes to the RFC-Editor?

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: Stig Venaas [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 5:40 AM
To: dhcwg
Subject: [dhcwg] dhc wg last call on draft-ietf-dhc-pxelinux-01

Stig

---

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 00:16:56 -0400

> are now redefined (per RFC 3942) and as this just documents the PXELINUX

I personally think that would be unfortunate.  At least 209 and 211 I 
believe would be generally useful, and 210 certainly would have 
applicability to at least some set of other NBPs.

	-hpa

---

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 00:28:39 -0400

> applicability to at least some set of other NBPs.

Please disregard this previous message.  I'm clearly posting way too late.

Quite on the contrary, I believe Bernie is correct.

	-hpa