Subject: Re: Re: [dhcwg] A question on receipt of Reply Messages in a client.

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 15:57:06 -0700

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 11:16:47PM -0400, Bernie Volz (volz) wrote:
> When the client does the Solicit/Advertise/Request/Reply, it may get new addresses but it can transition to them properly.

Actually, RFC3315 section 18.1.8 (Receipt of Reply Messages) specifies
that the client "sends a Request message if the IA contained a Status
Code option with the NoBinding status."

So, not Solicit, but yeah, same difference.

I think there's some potential for infinite loops here, because a client
is going to include all its configured addresses (not just the ones it
got from the server it's Renewing/Rebinding).

So the next time a client renews or rebinds, it'll get the NoBinding
status code again and back to Request again.  I think Request should
complete (but may not if the server is issuing NoBinding for
Requests...), so that mitigates how much extra traffic there is.

Also, it's probably unlikely that the old addresses won't exceed their
valid lifetime before the new t1 expires.

> Perhaps 3315 could have had some language that a client may wait a short period for responses and take the "best" Reply to a REBIND (ie, perhaps one that does not have any status code options?). But, it seems that this would have little practical benefit for the added complexity.

I think for example that a client engaged in communication with an
authenticated server is not going to want to take the first reply it
receives, and may not even wish to accept replies in the absence of
an authenticated reply.

So I suspect that will wind up being true regardless.

-- 
David W. Hankins	"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer		you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.	-- Jack T. Hankins
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg