Subject: [dhcwg] Issue related to FQDN creation

From: Maverick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 15:35:39 +0530

Hi All,
Had a query related to creating a FQDN for the client on the DHCPv6 server.

What is the correct method of creating the FQDN option.
Assuming the client sends the DHCPv6 server just the Machine name, the
server then attaches the domain name information and sends it back to the
client.
The question that now arises is, from where does it get this domain name?
Is it ok to use the Domain Search list option to create the FQDN, if so then
we can have an array of Addresses, which one should be taken?

Or is there any other way it can be done.

Thanks in advance,
Maverick
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 13:40:24 -0400

No, I would NOT use the domain search list option. While the domain name
is likely to be in this list, you can't assume this.
 
If the DHCPv6 server is going to be doing DNS updates for the client
(which this model assumes), it likely needs to be configured with
information about doing those updates (as typically TSIG keys are
needed, which might be zone specific, etc.).
 
Thus, I would assume that the DHCPv6 server gets it from other
configuration information it has specific to performing DNS updates.
This is what our server does for both DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 (and has been
doing so for years for DHCPv4).
 
- Bernie

________________________________

From: Maverick [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 6:06 AM
To: DHC WG
Subject: [dhcwg] Issue related to FQDN creation

Hi All,
Had a query related to creating a FQDN for the client on the DHCPv6
server.
 
What is the correct method of creating the FQDN option. 
Assuming the client sends the DHCPv6 server just the Machine name, the
server then attaches the domain name information and sends it back to
the client.
The question that now arises is, from where does it get this domain
name?
Is it ok to use the Domain Search list option to create the FQDN, if so
then we can have an array of Addresses, which one should be taken?

Thanks in advance,
Maverick