Subject: [dhcwg] FQDN RFC 4704

From: RamaSubramanian KrishnaMurthi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:41:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,
   I have a doubt on DHCPServer FQDN option 39 for DHCPv6 server.
   If client send the flag value as N=1, O=0, S=1 , i.e. asking the DHCPServer to perform NO DNS updates.
     But the DHCPServer is configure to do both AAAA and PTR forcefully. Then what should the DHCPServer should send the values in the flags ?
     should it send like  N=0,O=1,S=1 ? 
     RFC says O=1 only if there is change in S=1, in the above scenario S is always 1.      

Yours ever
-RamaSubbu SK

____________________________________________________________________________________Ready for the edge of your seat? 
Check out tonight's top picks on Yahoo! TV. 
http://tv.yahoo.com/

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:09:16 -0400

I'm not sure why the client set S=1 in this case. RFC 4704 states in
section 5.3:
5.3. Client Desires No Server DNS Updates

A client can choose to request that the server perform no DNS updates

on its behalf. In order to inform the server of this choice, the

client SHOULD include the Client FQDN option in its SOLICIT with

Rapid Commit, REQUEST, RENEW, and REBIND messages and MAY include the

Client FQDN option in its SOLICIT. The "N" bit in the Flags field in

the option MUST be 1, and the "S" and "O" bits MUST be 0.

The rules are pretty clear - if the S bit changes from what was received
from the client to what is sent back to the client, set the O bit.
Otherwise, O is clear.
 
So, if the client did send in S=1 in this case, O would be clear.
 
The S & O bits are likely meaningless when the client sends in N=1, but
best to stick to following the documented rules.
 
- Bernie

________________________________

From: RamaSubramanian KrishnaMurthi [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 12:42 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] FQDN RFC 4704

Hi all,
   I have a doubt on DHCPServer FQDN option 39 for DHCPv6 server.
   If client send the flag value as N=1, O=0, S=1 , i.e. asking the
DHCPServer to perform NO DNS updates.
     But the DHCPServer is configure to do both AAAA and PTR forcefully.
Then what should the DHCPServer should send the values in the flags ?
     should it send like  N=0,O=1,S=1 ? 
     RFC says O=1 only if there is change in S=1, in the above scenario
S is always 1.      

Yours ever
-RamaSubbu SK <http://spaces.msn.com/ramasubbu>
<http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/14.gif> 

________________________________

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles.
Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48246/*http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/;
_ylc=X3oDMTE5cDF2bXZzBF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDZ3JlZW4tY2V
udGVy> 
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg