Subject: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 Server IP address.

From: RamaSubramanian KrishnaMurthi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:33:30 -0700 (PDT)

How can I know the DHCPv6 Server IP address on stateless and statefull mode? In DHCPv4, in every DHCP packet server will send its IPaddress in the siaddr  field. In DHCPv6, in which field/option the sever will send its IPv6 address?
 
Thanks
-RamaSubbu SK

____________________________________________________________________________________
Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search 
that gives answers, not web links. 
http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:12:01 -0700

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 10:33:30AM -0700, RamaSubramanian KrishnaMurthi wrote:
> How can I know the DHCPv6 Server IP address on stateless and statefull
> mode?

The Server Unicast Option (RFC 3315 Setion 22.12).

However, the Server may not elect to transmit packets containing this
option, and if it does, it (or possibly some intervening device trying
to be too clever) may send a reply with a UseMulticast status code.

> In DHCPv4, in every DHCP packet server will send its IPaddress in the
> siaddr  field.

That is not correct.  RFC 2131 clarified the 'siaddr' field as the
address of the server to use in the "next step of the client's
bootstrap process", whatever that process may be (but probably
loading an executable image via TFTP).

Or are you looking for a DHCPv6 analogue of the next-server address?
That isn't the Unicast option.

-- 
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/
-- 
David W. Hankins	"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer		     you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.		-- Jack T. Hankins
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:08:22 -0400

RamaSubbu SK:

DHCPv6 clients normally will multicast their packets to the link-local
multicast address of ff02::1:2. Either the server will be on that link,
or a relay-agent will forward it on (to another relay-agent or the
server).

Thus all packets a client sends are MULTICAST to the ff02::1:2
link-local multicast address (with the IPv6 source address set to the
client's link-local address) and on-link responder (server or
relay-agent) will UNICAST the response packet to the client's link-local
address.

If a server sends a server-unicast option (which has the address of the
DHCPv6 server specified in it) to the client and the client has a
suitable address that it can use to communicate directly with the
server, it can then unicast. Note that if the server's address is a
global unicast address and the client doesn't have a global unicast
address, the client could NOT unicast.

The way a server is identified is by using a Server-ID option. In some
client packets (Solicit, for example) there is no Server-ID option
because the client doesn't know it yet (it is looking for a server to
use). In Request, Renew, Release messages, the client MUST supply the
server-id option from the Advertise it selected. All servers may receive
these requests, but only the one who's server-id matches the value
specified in the option will respond (the others drop the packet).

Note also that the server-id option MUST be used even if packets are
unicast by the client.

This is a bit different than in DHCPv4 where some client messages are
unicast directly between client and server.

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: David W. Hankins [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 2:12 PM
To: RamaSubramanian KrishnaMurthi
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 Server IP address.

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 10:33:30AM -0700, RamaSubramanian KrishnaMurthi