Subject: Re: [dhcwg] RE: A doubt in RFC 3315

From: RamaSubramanian KrishnaMurthi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:29:12 -0700 (PDT)

Then in the following sequence , SOLICIT & ADVERTISE will have one transaction id and REQUEST & REPLY will have one transaction id. am I right ?
SOLICIT - ADVERTISE - REQUEST - REPLY 
 
How is it in DHCPv4 then ? for DISCOVER-OFFER-REQUEST-REPLY ?

Yours ever
-RamaSubbu SK 

----- Original Message ----
From: David W. Hankins <[email-masked]>
To: DHC WG <[email-masked]>
Cc: Kasi Sambandam <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 8:33:32 PM
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] RE: A doubt in RFC 3315

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 10:27:02AM -0400, Bernie Volz (volz) wrote:
> My own view is that all messages which are NOT retransmissions should
> have a new transaction-id. Therefore the Solicit has one transaction id
> (and of course the Advertise will have the same) and the Request (and
> thus Reply) should use a different transaction id.

Just as an additional datapoint; ISC DHCP 4.0.0 interprets this the
same way.  That is, we acquire a new xid upon 'starting' each message
exchange, and keep that xid through retransmissions of that exchange.

The only small exception being the use of random transaction id's, not
explicitly different ones (however (im)probable it is that two random
numbers match identically).

-- 
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
-- 
David W. Hankins    "If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer             you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.        -- Jack T. Hankins

____________________________________________________________________________________
Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting 

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Andre Kostur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:55:10 -0700

That should be DISCOVER->OFFER->REQUEST->ACK.  DHCPv4 doesn't have a
REPLY message.

And according to the table on page 37 of RFC 2131, the
DISCOVER->OFFER->REQUEST->ACK will all have the same xid.  The OFFER and
ACK will have the xid that the client sent in the DISCOVER and REQUEST,
and according to the table, the REQUEST will have the xid that was
received in the OFFER message.

(I have no comment on the DHCPv6 aspect)

-----Original Message-----
From: RamaSubramanian KrishnaMurthi [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 8:29 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] RE: A doubt in RFC 3315

Then in the following sequence , SOLICIT & ADVERTISE will have one
transaction id and REQUEST & REPLY will have one transaction id. am I
right ?
SOLICIT - ADVERTISE - REQUEST - REPLY 

Yours ever
-RamaSubbu SK 

----- Original Message ----
From: David W. Hankins <[email-masked]>
To: DHC WG <[email-masked]>
Cc: Kasi Sambandam <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 8:33:32 PM
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] RE: A doubt in RFC 3315

       
________________________________________________________________________
____________
Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you
all the tools to get online.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting