Subject: [dhcwg] Reg UC, VC, VSIO in Confirm, Release and Decline

From: "S.SenthilKumar (Huawei)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:15:20 +0530

Dear All
I have a question reg User class, Vendor Class and Vendor specific
Information options.

>From RFC 3315
          User  Vendor Vendor
           Class Class  Spec.
   Solicit   *     *      *  
   Advert.   *     *      *  
   Request   *     *      *  
   Confirm   *     *      *
   Renew     *     *      *  
   Rebind    *     *      *  
   Decline   *     *      *
   Release   *     *      *
   Reply     *     *      *  
   Reconf.                   
   Inform.   *     *      *  
   R-forw.   *     *      *  
   R-repl.   *     *      *  

	As per RFC 3315, User class, Vendor class and Vendor specific
Information option will be present in the Confirm, Release and Decline
message. I like to know the purpose and the usage of the same in these
messages. Is it anything wrong If client adds these options to these
message?

Please let me know your comments.

Thanking you,

Best regards,
S.SenthilKumar,

Disclaimer: This e-mail and attachments contain confidential information
from HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address
is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way
(including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction,
or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is
prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by
phone or email immediately and delete it!

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:19:43 -0700

> messages. Is it anything wrong If client adds these options to these

For user and vendor class - consistency is useful.  Server-side
processing usually looks at the packet contents to decide how to
process the packet.  User-class is the kind of thing you'd look at.
It's helpful to have this in every packet from the client rather
than to have to 'remember' the last value they sent across messages.

The VSIO option doesn't immediately have any purpose - in any message
- that's up to the vendors to define.  I think it's a bit odd to see
this in these messages, but it's fine if they appear.

-- 
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/
-- 
David W. Hankins	"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer		     you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.		-- Jack T. Hankins
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg