Subject: [dhcwg] dhc WG recharter

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 00:38:33 -0400

Included below is the latest revision of the proposed new dhc WG  
charter.  This revision is based on input received during earlier  
review of the proposed new WG charter.  Please review this revision  
and reply before Oct 2, so your input can be considered before the  
new charter is reviewed by the IESG.

- Ralph and Stig

=====

The dhc working group (DHC WG) has developed DHCP for automated
allocation, configuration and management of IP addresses and TCP/IP
protocol stack parameters. DHCPv4 is currently a "Draft Standard" and
is documented in RFC 2131 and RFC 2132.  DHCPv6 is currently a
"Proposed Standard" and is documented in RFC 3315.  Subsequent RFCs
document additional options and other enhancements to the
specifications.

The DHC WG is responsible for reviewing DHCP options or other
extensions (for both IPv4 and IPv6). The DHC WG is expected to review
all proposed extensions to DHCP to ensure that they are consistent
with the DHCP specification and other option formats, that they do not
duplicate existing mechanisms, etc.  Generally speaking, the DHC WG
will not be responsible for evaluating the semantic content of
proposed options. Similarly, the ownership of specifications typically
belongs the relevant working group that needs more functionality from
DHCP, not the DHC WG. The DHC WG coordinates reviews of the proposed
options together with those working groups. It is required that those
working groups have consensus to take on the work and that the work is
within their charter. Exceptionally, with AD agreement, this same
process can also be used for Individual Submissions originating
outside WGs.

However, the DHC WG can in some cases develop its own options that
relate to either maintenance of existing specifications or
improvements in the operation of the DHCP infrastructure itself.

The DHC WG has the following main objectives:

* Develop extensions to the DHCP infrastructure as required to meet
   new applications and deployments of DHCP. The topics currently
   in development are:

     - Subnet allocation mechanisms
     - Virtual subnet identification option
     - Option for passing DNS domain information in DHCPv6
     - DHCP relay agent assignment notification in DHCPv6
     - Option for DHCPv6 server reply sequence numbers
     - Rebinding capability for DHCPv6 Reconfigure messages

   The adoption of new items requires explicit agreement from
   the AD or rechartering.

* Write analyses of the DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 specifications,
   including RFC 2131, RFC 2132, RFC 3315 and other RFCs defining
   additional options, which identifies ambiguities, contradictory
   specifications and other obstacles to development of interoperable
   implementations. Recommend a process for resolving identified
   problems and incorporating the resolutions into the DHCP
   specification.

   Secondly, advance DHCPv4 (RFC 2131 and RFC 2132) and DHCPv6 (RFC
   3315) in IETF Standards Track.

   Thirdly, specify guidelines for creating new DHCP options.

* Assess the requirements for a dual-stack host to use DHCP to obtain
   configuration settings for both IPv4 and IPv6.  Hosts that include
   implementations of both IPv4 and IPv6 ("dual-stack hosts") may use
   DHCP to obtain configuration settings (including assigned addresses)
   for both IPv4 and IPv6.  The DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 specifications (RFC
   2131, RFC 2132, RFC 3315 and subsequent RFCs) do not explicitly
   explain how a dual-stack host uses DHCP to obtain configuration
   settings for both IP stacks.  The DHC WG will evaluate solutions for
   configuration of dual-stack hosts through DHCP and select a solution
   that will be developed and published by the WG.

Milestones:

Done   WG last call for "Subnet Allocation Option"
        <draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-alloc-04>
Done   WG last call on "Virtual Subnet Selection Option",
        <draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option>
Oct 07 Submit "Subnet Allocation Option"
        <draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-alloc-04> to IESG
        for Proposed Standard
Nov 07 WG last call on "Guidelines for Creating New DHCP Options"
        <draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines>
Nov 07 Submit "Virtual Subnet Selection Option",
        <draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option> and <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-vpn-id>
        to IESG for Proposed Standard
Dec 07 WG last call for "Domain Suffix Option for DHCPv6"
        <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain>
Jan 08 Submit "Domain Suffix Option for DHCPv6"
        <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain> to IESG
        for Proposed Standard
Jan 08 Submit "Guidelines for Creating New DHCP Options"
        <draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines> to IESG for Best Current
        Practice
Jan 08 Develop plan for advancing DHCPv4 and DHCPv6; plan to include
        completion of DHCPv4 specification review report,
        "Implementation Issues with RFC 2131"
        <draft-ietf-dhc-implementation-02> for Informational
Feb 08 WG last call for "Dual-stack clients and merging of data from
        DHCPv4 and DHCPv6" <draft-ietf-dhc-dual-stack-merge-01.txt>;
        waiting for more experience with IPv6 deployment
Feb 08 WG last call for "Rebind Capability in DHCPv6 Reconfigure
        Messages" <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-00>
Apr 08 2nd WG last call for "DHCP Relay Agent Assignment Notification
        Option" <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate-01> and
        "DHCPv6 Server Reply Sequence Number Option"
        <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option-00>
May 08 Submit "Rebind Capability in DHCPv6 Reconfigure Messages"
        <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-00> to IESG for
        Proposed Standard
Jul 08 Submit "DHCP Relay Agent Assignment Notification Option"
        <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate-01> and "DHCPv6 Server
        Reply Sequence Number Option"
        <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option-00> to IESG for
        Proposed Standard
Jul 08 Recharter for more work

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Bharat Joshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 12:09:41 +0530

Hi Ralph/Stig,

> new charter is reviewed by the IESG.

    I would suggest adding a topic of Layer 2 Relay Agent also. Participants in last DHC WG meeting has shown considerable interest in looking at this topic. We are still looking for feedback on the scenarios where Layer 2 Relay Agent may be helpful. We have proposed its usage in one such scenario in our draft.

Thanks,
Bharat

> Jul 08 Recharter for more work

**************** CAUTION - Disclaimer *****************
This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other person and any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys e-mail system.
***INFOSYS******** End of Disclaimer ********INFOSYS***

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 02:44:58 -0400

God point; thanks...

- Ralph

On Sep 26, 2007, at Sep 26, 2007,2:39 AM, Bharat Joshi wrote:

>     I would suggest adding a topic of Layer 2 Relay Agent also.  
> Participants in last DHC WG meeting has shown considerable interest  
> in looking at this topic. We are still looking for feedback on the  
> scenarios where Layer 2 Relay Agent may be helpful. We have  
> proposed its usage in one such scenario in our draft.
>
> Thanks,
> Bharat
>
>> - Ralph and Stig
>>
>> =====
>>
> This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION  
> intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the  
> intended recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete  
> the original message. Further, you are not to copy, disclose, or  
> distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other person and any  
> such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys  
> has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is  
> not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any virus  
> in this e-mail. You should carry out your own virus checks before  
> opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves the right to  
> monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this  
> e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be  
> stored on the Infosys e-mail system.

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 00:08:55 -0400

Revision of dhc WG charter based on input received to date; changes  
identified by change bars.

- Ralph

=====

   The DHC WG is responsible for reviewing DHCP options or other
   extensions (for both IPv4 and IPv6). The DHC WG is expected to review
   all proposed extensions to DHCP to ensure that they are consistent
   with the DHCP specification and other option formats, that they do  
not
   duplicate existing mechanisms, etc.  Generally speaking, the DHC WG
   will not be responsible for evaluating the semantic content of
   proposed options. Similarly, the ownership of specifications  
typically
   belongs the relevant working group that needs more functionality from
   DHCP, not the DHC WG. The DHC WG coordinates reviews of the proposed
   options together with those working groups. It is required that those
   working groups have consensus to take on the work and that the  
work is
   within their charter. Exceptionally, with AD agreement, this same
   process can also be used for Individual Submissions originating
   outside WGs.

|     - Behavior of layer 2 relay agents

   * Assess the requirements for a dual-stack host to use DHCP to obtain
     configuration settings for both IPv4 and IPv6.  Hosts that include
     implementations of both IPv4 and IPv6 ("dual-stack hosts") may use
     DHCP to obtain configuration settings (including assigned  
addresses)
     for both IPv4 and IPv6.  The DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 specifications (RFC
     2131, RFC 2132, RFC 3315 and subsequent RFCs) do not explicitly
     explain how a dual-stack host uses DHCP to obtain configuration
     settings for both IP stacks.  The DHC WG will evaluate solutions  
for
     configuration of dual-stack hosts through DHCP and select a  
solution
     that will be developed and published by the WG.

   Milestones:

| Mar 08 WG last call for "Layer 2 relay agent"
|        <draft-ietf-dhc-layer2-relay-agent-00>
| May 08 Submit "Layer 2 relay agent"
|        <draft-ietf-dhc-layer2-relay-agent-00> to IESG for  
Informational
          <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate-01> and "DHCPv6  
Server
| Jul 08 Recharter