Subject: Re: [dhcwg] RE: A doubt in RFC 3315

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:03:32 -0700

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 10:27:02AM -0400, Bernie Volz (volz) wrote:
> My own view is that all messages which are NOT retransmissions should
> have a new transaction-id. Therefore the Solicit has one transaction id
> (and of course the Advertise will have the same) and the Request (and
> thus Reply) should use a different transaction id.

Just as an additional datapoint; ISC DHCP 4.0.0 interprets this the
same way.  That is, we acquire a new xid upon 'starting' each message
exchange, and keep that xid through retransmissions of that exchange.

The only small exception being the use of random transaction id's, not
explicitly different ones (however (im)probable it is that two random
numbers match identically).

-- 
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
-- 
David W. Hankins	"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer		     you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.		-- Jack T. Hankins
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg