Subject: [dhcwg] RFC 3315: Reg Message Retransmisison of Client

From: "ravi kumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 13:07:45 +0530

I need clarification regarding Message-retransmission of Client, specified
in RFC 3315:
*14** Reliability of Client Initiated Message Exchanges*

MRT specifies an upper bound on the value of RT (disregarding the
randomization added by the use of RAND). If MRT has a value of 0, there is
no upper limit on the value of RT.

Otherwise: if (RT > MRT)

         RT = MRT + RAND*MRT

In the above case for MRT >0, at some time during retransmission (RT
increases...), MRT no more remains an upper bound, as RT becomes greater
than MRT (by the above equality).If muy understanding is correct in this
regard, what would be role of MRT parameter in Message Retransmission.

Also, the message exchange termination is governed by MRC and MRD, as seen
from below lines:

MRC specifies an upper bound on the number of times a client may retransmit
a message. Unless MRC is zero, the message exchange fails once the client
has transmitted the message MRC times.

MRD specifies an upper bound on the length of time a client may retransmit a
message. Unless MRD is zero, the message exchange fails once MRD seconds
have elapsed since the client first transmitted the message.

If both MRC and MRD are non-zero, the message exchange fails whenever either
of the conditions specified in the previous two paragraphs are met.

If both MRC and MRD are zero, the client continues to transmit the message
until it receives a response.
Please clarify me in this regard.
regards
Ravi
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "ravi kumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 15:02:00 +0530

<Resending the mail, as there is no Reponse>
Can someome please respond to the mail!

regards
Ravi
On Feb 6, 2008 1:07 PM, ravi kumar <[email-masked]> wrote:

> MRC specifies an upper bound on the number of times a client may
> retransmit a message. Unless MRC is zero, the message exchange fails once
> the client has transmitted the message MRC times.
>
> MRD specifies an upper bound on the length of time a client may retransmit
> a message. Unless MRD is zero, the message exchange fails once MRD seconds
> If both MRC and MRD are non-zero, the message exchange fails whenever
> either of the conditions specified in the previous two paragraphs are met.
>

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 18:11:21 +0700

Date:        Thu, 7 Feb 2008 15:02:00 +0530
    From:        "ravi kumar" <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | <Resending the mail, as there is no Reponse>
  | Can someome please respond to the mail!

I am guessing you got no response (aside from it being only 24 hours,
which is a bit short to panic!) because no-one really understands what
your problem is.

I'm no expert on this, so I'm going to guess at what your issue is
(if I'm wrong, then you can explain better, and then perhaps someone
else will reply) - or if I'm right in the guess, but my explanation is
wrong, someone who does know the right answer might then be able to
give a better response.

  | > I need clarification regarding Message-retransmission of Client, specified
  | > in RFC 3315:
  | > *14** Reliability of Client Initiated Message Exchanges*

I suspect that your problem is all in the way you're interpreting the
the following sentence ...

  | > MRT specifies an upper bound on the value of RT

and that you are prehaps reading "specifies" as if it said "is".

Then, when you see ...

  | >          RT = MRT + RAND*MRT

MRT can't be the upper bound, as RT is bigger (perhaps).   But
"specifies" != "is", rather it means "tells you how to work out"
which is what happens here.

Once RT has become bigger than MRT, further values of RT are based
solely upon the value of MRT, and no longer depend upon the previous
RT value, and MRT doesn't change, so we have an upper bound upon RT
(it gets no larger than a bit bigger than MRT)

  | > Also, the message exchange termination is governed by MRC and MRD, as seen
  | > from below lines:

Yes, that all looks very clear to me.

  | > Please clarify me in this regard.

Clarify what?

RT (as limited by MRT) says how long to wait between retransmits.
MRC and MRD (in combination) say when you should stop retransmitting
and give up.

Is this the question, and does this answer help?   (And to others, did
I misrepresent the way it works?)

kre

---

From: "ravi kumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 17:16:38 +0530

Thanks kre for the Reply. You have answered my question !
regards
Ravi
On Feb 7, 2008 4:41 PM, Robert Elz <[email-masked]> wrote:

>    Message-ID:  <
> [email-masked]>
>