Subject: [dhcwg] Lease Query by Remote-id and Circuit-id

From: Bharat Joshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:10:46 +0530

Hi All,

        We presented 'Lease Query by Remote-id and Circuit-id' in
Philadelphia (draft-kurapati-dhc-leasequery-by-remote-id-00). We need
feedback from Working Group on our next step.

        For those who missed our presentation, here is a gist of the
problem statement. Access concentrators in Access networks glean lease
information and install anti-spoofing filters. This information is lost
when Access Concentrator reboots. Existing DHCPv4 Leasequery mechanism
is data driven and so with this approach installing consolidated
anti-spoofing filters is not possible. So we require a new query with
which we can fetch consolidated lease information and install
anti-spoofing filters even before the connection comes up.  By
consolidated information we mean all the lease information allocated to
a remote-id or connection.

        To solve this issue, we suggested two new query types : 'query
by remote-id' and 'query by circuit-id'.

        During the discussion, it was pointed out that we should look at
DHCPv4 Bulk Leasequery using TCP connection similar to what <DHCPv6 Bulk
Leasequery draft>. In response to this question, we put following
arguments:

* We wanted to extend this mechanism to Layer 2 Relay Agents as well and
with Layer 2 Relay Agent, we can not support bulk leasequery with TCP
connection.

* Query by remote-id will be useful if a line card reboots and an access
concentrator wants to fetch details for connections on a line card.
Using bulk leasequery(query by relay-id) may not be useful  as it gives
complete device information insted of only line card information.

        After discussion with various DHCP experts, we understand that
we should take following path:

* Create a new draft defining DHCPv4 Bulk Leasequery similar to DHCPv6
Bulk Leasequery. This new draft is intended only for layer 3 relay
agents.

* Keep 'Query by remote-id and circuit-id' draft as it is. This is
because there might be some Layer 3 Relay Agent implementations which
may not want to use TCP based  DHCPv4 Bulk Leasequery. Also it would be
easy to extend this to Layer 2 Relay Agent.

* Add details on extension of 'Query by remote-id and circuit-id' in
Extension to Layer 2 Relay Agent draft
(draft-kurapati-dhc-l2ra-extensions-00).

        Please let us know what you think on the above proposal.

Thanks & Regards,
Bharat

**************** CAUTION - Disclaimer *****************
This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other person and any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys e-mail system.
***INFOSYS******** End of Disclaimer ********INFOSYS***
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg