Subject: [dhcwg] about mip6-hiopt I-D

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 14:25:32 +0100

I have still a concern about draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt-11.txt (I reviewed
for the gen-art the version 10) but I'd like to know if someone
shares my opinion.
My concernis the MIP6 Relay Agent Option (section 3.2 page 10) which
carries a part of replies from the relay to servers. IMHO this is
not the right way to do this:
 - if the local network has enough information so it could simply
  answer (a request can be about or partially about local stuff so
  ther should be a local DHCPv6 server).
 - if the local network has not enough information requests should be
  simply forwarded to a remote DHCPv6 server.
 - if the local network has the information but needs an AAA decision
  which can be done only at the remote network, requests should be
  forwarded to the remote network with a remote-id or subscriber-id
  carrying identification and AAA stuff about the client.
So in fact I can't see where Mobile IPv6 is special in this case and
why the standard way could not be used...

Thanks

[email-masked]

PS: the home network prefix sub-option has the same layout than an IA_PD
because I suggest to use the same layout to give the same infos.
But it is an information (sub-)option, not a resource one (the whole
hiopt is stateless).
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Alper Yegin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:02:19 +0200

Francis,

> why the standard way could not be used...

The scheme you described above is the "standard"? Is it documented anywhere?
I agree it could be done that way, but I perceived this as an optimization
when I first saw your comment.

Alper

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 18:07:37 +0200

=> it is the way relays (including DHCPv4 relays even DHCPv6 relays are
more flexible) are used so documentation is in RFC 3315, 4580 and 4649
(and about policy stuff in DOCSIS specs).

=> if the optimization is to cache the infos locally the idea is not mine
but the I-D (and bootstrapping scenario) one. My point is to put the
infos from relay to server way doesn't make sense.

Thanks