Subject: Re: [dhcwg] dhc WG last call on draft-raj-dhc-tftp-addr-option-03.txt

From: Marty Connor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 22:04:04 -0400

Hello Ralph,

Speaking for the Etherboot Project, I support the acceptance of this 
document provided that the existing usage of option 150 by Etherboot is 
generally agreed not to be an issue for the proposed usage.

As I mentioned in a message of 21 December 2007, one of our products, 
Etherboot, continues to make use of option 150.  Because of the way 
Etherboot uses option 150 (encapsulated, and requiring a magic value 
being present in option 128), it seems unlikely that usage of the option 
as described in this Internet Draft would present difficulties for most 
Etherboot users.

As an additional note, our newer network booting product, gPXE, uses 
option 175 rather than option 150 for configuration parameters. gPXE is 
eventually intended to replace Etherboot.  Though we continue to provide 
Etherboot firmware images via http://rom-o-matic.net/, we expect that 
use of Etherboot will decrease as usage of gPXE increases.

In support of this Internet Draft, I also offer the following minor 
suggestion:

In the second sentence of section 3, I think that the phrase "should 
use, if needed" would better be expressed as "MAY use" in accordance 
with RFC 2119.

Regards,

Marty

Ralph Droms wrote:
> This message announces a WG last call on "VoIP Configuration Server
> Address Option" <draft-raj-dhc-tftp-addr-option-03.txt>.  The last
> call will conclude at 1700EDT on Mon, 05-12-2008.
> draft-raj-dhc-tftp-addr-option-03.txt is under consideration for
> publication as an Informational RFC.
> 
> Please respond to this WG last call.  If you support acceptance of the
> document without change, respond with a simple acknowledgment, so that
> support for the document can be assessed.  Lack of discussion does not
> represent positive support.  If there is no expression of support for
> acceptance during the WG last call, the document will not be advanced
> to the IESG.
> 
> Note that draft-raj-dhc-tftp-addr-option-03.txt has not been
> officially accepted as a WG work item, although it has been discussed
> and reviewed by the WG.  This WG last call will implicitly confirm
> acceptance of draft-raj-dhc-tftp-addr-option-03.txt as a WG work item.
> 
> draft-raj-dhc-tftp-addr-option-03.txt documents existing usage for the
> "VoIP Configuration Server Address Option" (previously known as the
> "TFTP Server IP Address Option".  The option number currently in use
> is 150.  This memo documents the current usage of the option in
> agreement with [6], which declares that any pre-existing usages of
> option numbers in the range 128 - 223 should be documented and the
> working group will try to officially assign those numbers to those
> options.  This draft is available as
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-raj-dhc-tftp-addr-option-03.txt
> 
> - John Brzozowski, Ralph Droms
>    dhc WG chairs
> 
> _______________________________________________
> dhcwg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg