Subject: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 and DHCPv4 Vendor Message Drafts (Individual Submissions) / Agenda Time Request

From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:25:40 -0400

Folks:
 
I recently submitted an updated
draft-volz-dhc-dhcpv6-vendor-message-01.txt and also a new
draft-volz-dhc-dhcpv4-vendor-message-00.txt.

The DHCPv6 draft was originally presented at the Prague IETF (IETF-68)
and wasn't warmly received. One of the issues was the reserved option
space, which has been removed. The more significant concern, if I recall
correctly, was that vendors would use these messages in place of going
the standards route, and while I can't say that isn't a valid concern, I
suspect that in most cases that won't be an issue. My purpose for this
message is to allow communication between DHCP entities for data that
would not normally be standardized or there is little interest for. For
example, it could be used by DHCP servers to exchange configuration data
or implement failover (we know the long and tortured road that DHCPv4
failover has followed and while there was a LOT of value to that work,
we still don't have a standards track document and there's little
interest to doing the work necessary to get it done).

The DHCPv4 draft is new and was a natural extension. Of course, DHCPv4
is a bit different from DHCPv6, so there are some differences (a new
option is needed to convey the enterprise-id number).

I will not be at the Dublin IETF and may try to participate virtually
(it will be 4AM for me, but I likely shouldn't complain as most will
still be jet lagged).

I've asked Ralph (with his working co-chair hat off) to present
something briefly. Hopefully he and John can work it into the schedule
if time permits (it is a very late agenda addition).

If anyone on the list supports the concept (as several folks did
privately communicate interest to me), please speak up - either at the
meeting or on the list.

- Bernie
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Bud Millwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 17:02:59 +0200

> privately communicate interest to me), please speak up - either at the

I hereby speak up. Massive apologies for being two weeks late.

- Bud

Bud Millwood
Weird Solutions, Inc.
http://www.weird-solutions.com
tel: +46 8 758 3700
fax: +46 8 758 3687
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Wojciech Dec (wdec)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:27:27 +0200

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> On Behalf Of Bud Millwood
> Sent: 29 July 2008 17:03
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 and DHCPv4 Vendor Message Drafts 
> (IndividualSubmissions) / Agenda Time Request
> 

Am speaking up in support too.

-Woj.