Subject: [dhcwg] Naming conventions for DHCPv[46] options

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 07:25:51 -0400

During my review of draft-ietf-capwap-dhc-ac-option, it occurred to me  
that we should establish some BCP for naming options that have  
essentially identical DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 counterparts.  For example,  
RFC 5192 (DHCP options for PANA auth agents) uses the same name,  
OPTION_PANA_AGENT, for both the DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 options. draft-ietf- 
ecrit-dhc-lost-discovery-03.txt (DHCP options for LOST discovery),  
uses OPTION_V4_LOST and OPTION_V6_LOST.  draft-ietf-capwap-dhc-ac- 
option uses OPTION_CAPWAP_AC_V4 and OPTION_CAPWAP_AC_V6.

I don't have a strong preference.  Using the same name for both  
options seems sensible for the IANA listing of option codes, as the  
DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 options are listed separately.  Using different  
names seems sensisble for developers, as different names for the two  
option codes would be needed if the same application supplies both  
DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 services.

Any opinions from the WG?

- Ralph

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Bud Millwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 17:12:19 +0200

> DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 services.

Not really (technically) - we have one application that simultaneously 
supplies both DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 services, but we don't have problems 
distinguishing between common names. I prefer common names because it's 
obvious that the options perform basically the same thing.

If you ever needed to package the same options together in a common container, 
you'd still have the issue of the tags overlapping between the two protocols. 
Packaging DHCPv4 options and DHCPv6 options together (without a qualifier of 
some sort, like a subencoding) just doesn't make any sense to me, so I can't 
see that it would be helpful to be able to pack the names together.

- Bud

Bud Millwood
Weird Solutions, Inc.
http://www.weird-solutions.com
tel: +46 8 758 3700
fax: +46 8 758 3687
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg