Subject: [dhcwg] dhc WG last call on draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-04

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 17:34:57 -0400

This message announces a WG last call on "Rebind Capability in DHCPv6
Reconfigure Messages" <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-04>.
The last call will conclude at 1700PDT 9/29/2008.

Please respond to this WG last call.  If you support acceptance of the
document without change, respond with a simple acknowledgment, so that
support for the document can be assessed.  Lack of discussion does not
represent positive support.  If there is no expression of support for
acceptance during the WG last call, the document will not be advanced
to the IESG.

draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-04 updates RFC 3315 to allow
the Rebind message type to appear in the Reconfigure Message option of
a Reconfigure message, which allows DHCPv6 servers to instruct clients
to perform a Rebind operation as well as a Renew operation.  The
document also clarifies how a DHCPv6 client responds to a received
Reconfigure message.  This draft is available as
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-04.txt

- John Brzozowski, Ralph Droms
   dhc WG chairs

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 19:47:32 -0400

I support this document moving forward.

There are some MINOR nits:

In Abstract:

   This document updates RFC 3315 to allow the Rebind message type to
   appear in the Reconfigure Message option of a Reconfigure message,
   which allows DHCPv6 servers to instruct clients to perform a Rebind
   operation as well as a Renew operation.  The document also clarifies
   how a DHCPv6 client responds to a received Reconfigure message.

It might have been clearer to have said that this extends the
Reconfigure to allow a Rebind. The "perform a Rebind operation as well
as a Renew operation" is a bit odd as it might be taken to mean both
("as well as").

In Section 4, Server Behavior

   The server MUST include a Reconfigure Message option (as defined in
   Section 3 to select whether the client responds with a Renew message,
   a Rebind message or an Information-Request message.

The parenthesis is never closed. I believe it should be "(as defined in
Section 3)"?

Section 4.1, Client Behavior

   part of a client-initiated configuration exchange.  See sections
   18.1.3, 18.1.4 and 18.1.5 of RFC 3315for details.  If the client does
                                        ^ space missing (RFC editor
would fix)

And, in this same paragraph:

   The client uses the same variables and retransmission algorithm as it
   does with Renew, Rebind or Information-request messages generated as
   part of a client-initiated configuration exchange.  See sections
   18.1.3, 18.1.4 and 18.1.5 of RFC 3315for details.  If the client does
   not receive a response from the server by the end of the
   retransmission process, the client ignores and discards the
   Reconfigure message.

So, for a Reconfigure with Renew, does this imply that the client would
NOT then send a Rebind (as the Renew retransmission runs until the t2
timer starts)? This is original text. And perhaps the "Reconfigure" at
the t2 time really doesn't matter (as the client should be sending
Rebinds then anyway).

This does raise another issue that probably is implicit - if the client
is doing Renews when it receives a Reconfigure (for Rebind), it
transitions to Rebind immediately. If the client is doing Renews when it
receives a Reconfigure (for Renew), should it do anything differently?
(One can also ask if the client is already Renewing and receives a
Reconfigure w/Renew whether it does anything differently.)

Sorry to raise these issues - they probably are pretty obvious as to
what the client should do.

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Ralph Droms (rdroms)
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2008 5:35 PM
To: DHC WG
Subject: [dhcwg] dhc WG last call
ondraft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-04

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-re
bind-04.txt