Subject: [dhcwg] dhc WG last call on draft-ietf-dhc-l2ra-02 (small correction: this is the first last call on the document)

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 14:11:22 -0400

This message announces a WG last call on "Layer 2 Relay Agent
Information" <draft-ietf-dhc-l2ra-02>.  The last call will conclude at
1700PDT October 20, 2008.  draft-ietf-dhc-l2ra-02 has been revised
based on comments received during the previous WG discussion of
draft-ietf-dhc-l2ra-01

Please respond to this WG last call.  If you support acceptance of the
document without change, respond with a simple acknowledgment, so that
support for the document can be assessed.  Lack of discussion does not
represent positive support.  If there is no expression of support for
acceptance during the WG last call, the document will not be advanced
to the IESG.  Note that there was only one response to the previous
discussion of this document, which would not be sufficient to advance
the document to the IESG.

draft-ietf-dhc-l2ra-02 describes the network scenarios where a Layer 2
Relay Agent is in use and how it handles DHCP messages.  In some
networks, DHCP servers rely on Relay Agent Information option appended
by Relay Agents for IP address and other parameter assignment
policies.  This works fine when end hosts are directly connected to
Relay Agents.  In some network configurations, one or more Layer 2
devices may reside between DHCP clients and Relay agent.  In these
network scenarios, it is difficult to use the Relay Agent Information
option for IP address and other parameter assignment policies
effectively.  So there is a need for the device that is closest to the
end hosts to append Relay Agent Information option in DHCP messages.
These devices are typically known as Layer 2 Relay Agents.  This draft
is available as
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-l2ra-02.txt

- John Brzozowski, Ralph Droms
  dhc WG chairs

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg