Subject: [dhcwg] draft-patil-dhc-apn-attachtype-options-00.txt

From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 01:32:59 -0500

Regarding this draft:
 
- The OPTION_APN needs to specify the encoding for the Access Point
Name. Is this an DNS encoded name or an ASCII name? (From earlier text,
it needs to be a FQDN, so it seems to me that DNS encoding is
appropriate.)

If DNS encoded, RFC 3315, Section 8., Representation and Use of Domain
Names, needs to be referenced.

- For OPTION_ATTACH_TYPE, as it looks like there can only be two
possible values (0 or 1), is a 32-bit value required or would an 8-bit
value be sufficient? Is there a default value for this option if just
the OPTION_APN is included and no OPTION_ATTACH_TYPE appears -- for
example, would it be assumed to be a new service flow (1)? Or is the
OPTION_APN ignored if this option is not present. Please clarify the
"relationship" between these options.

And, is a registry needed for attach types or are new values unlikely
and thus can be handled by IETF standards action?

The draft should be clear whether these options may only be sent in a
Solicit/Advertise/Request/Ack or whether this applies to
Information-Request, Renew, Rebind messages as well. The option text
does say "DHCP Request message" so perhaps it is sufficiently clear that
this is ONLY in a Request -- though it seems to me that it is also
needed in the Solicit in that case.

- Bernie

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg