Subject: [dhcwg] draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines-03.txt

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 23:58:47 -0600

I'm pretty happy with the technical content of this draft, but it's  
expressed in a colloquial style that is specific to a certain group of  
hackers in the Bay Area (of which I am a member), and may be difficult  
for a non-native english speaker to follow due to the many colloquial  
terms that are used.   I don't know how important it is to address  
this concern; if the WG considers it important, I would be willing to  
help wordsmith the document.   It might also be helpful to have  
someone who is not a native english speaker review the document and  
let us know if they find it usable in its current state, or would like  
to see changes.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:07:20 -0800

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 11:58:47PM -0600, Ted Lemon wrote:
> hackers in the Bay Area (of which I am a member), and may be difficult for 
> a non-native english speaker to follow due to the many colloquial terms 
> that are used.   I don't know how important it is to address this concern; 
> if the WG considers it important, I would be willing to help wordsmith the 
> document.   It might also be helpful to have someone who is not a native 
> english speaker review the document and let us know if they find it usable 
> in its current state, or would like to see changes.

I have no objections to simplifications of language, with the
exception that I believe any draft should 'say what it means'.  Any
adjustment in wording shouldn't produce more flowery prose at the
expense of the meaning.

I can do a once-over of the draft in this regard before asking the WG
to perform this variety of review (identifying specific areas).

I do not know of Holger Honert is a native english speaker or not, but
there is a letter in his name that I can't reproduce on my US
keyboard.  His review was most beneficial, and I'd welcome more like
it.

-- 
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/
-- 
David W. Hankins	"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer		     you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.		-- Jack T. Hankins
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:00:54 -0800

> I do not know of Holger Honert is a native english speaker or not, but

Wow, that'll teach me to go by memory.  Make that Alfred Hones.