Subject: [dhcwg] Finding BOOTP server IP address if next-server (siaddr) is 0.0.0.0 in BOOTP reply

From: "Shankar Anand R" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 18:21:50 +0530

Hi,

I have a BOOTP client application which displays the IP address of the
server along with the IP address received from the server. It currently uses
the 'siaddr' field from the BOOTP reply for determining the server IP
address. Some implementations of BOOTP/DHCP server fill this up with their
IP address while some fill this up with 0.0.0.0.

What is the correct way for the BOOTP client determine the BOOTP server's IP
address if siaddr is filled with 0.0.0.0? Is it correct if the BOOTP client
looked at the source IP address of the BOOTP reply for determining the
server IP address?

Kindly note that I do not have any TFTP requirement coming into the picture.

Thanks,
Shankar
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:32:39 -0500

On Nov 26, 2008, at 7:51 AM, Shankar Anand R wrote:
> What is the correct way for the BOOTP client determine the BOOTP  
> server's IP address if siaddr is filled with 0.0.0.0? Is it correct  
> if the BOOTP client looked at the source IP address of the BOOTP  
> reply for determining the server IP address?
>

There's no way to do it.  In DHCP you'd look at the server identifier,  
but there's no equivalent functionality in BOOTP.