Subject: Re: [dhcwg] draft-rabil-dhc-dhcpv6-xmlconfig-00.txt`

From: "A. Gregory Rabil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 21:39:25 -0400

Hello DHCPv6'ers,
I have made an individual submission of an Internet-Draft which describes an
XML schema for configuration of DHCPv6 servers.  Many of us may remember a
vaguely similar effort that we worked on in the late 1990's for a common
LDAP schema for configuration (and lease data, as I recall) for DHCPv4
servers. From those discussions, I understand the problems associated with a
common configuration schema which tends to infringe directly upon
implementation details.  Although I hope to avoid those sticky problems
again, I would still welcome comments on this draft, and to consider if the
WG should take this as an action item.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rabil-dhc-dhcpv6-xmlconfig-00.txt

An open-source implementation of a stateless DHCPv6 server which implements
the XML configuration schema defined in this draft is available at:

http://code.google.com/p/jagornet-dhcpv6

Best regards,
Greg Rabil

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 08:44:27 +0200

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 03:39:25AM +0200, A. Gregory Rabil wrote:
> Hello DHCPv6'ers,
> I have made an individual submission of an Internet-Draft which describes an XML schema for configuration of DHCPv6 servers.  Many of us may remember a vaguely similar effort that we worked on in the late 1990's for a common LDAP schema for configuration (and lease data, as I recall) for DHCPv4 servers. From those discussions, I understand the problems associated with a common configuration schema which tends to infringe directly upon implementation details.  Although I hope to avoid those sticky problems again, I would still welcome comments on this draft, and to consider if the WG should take this as an action item.
> 
> An open-source implementation of a stateless DHCPv6 server which implements the XML configuration schema defined in this draft is available at:
> 

I suggest you take a look at RFC 4741 and the YANG work currently last
called in the NETMOD WG if you want to push this work forward in the
IETF.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>