Subject: [dhcwg] Call for review: draft-ietf-dna-simple-11 for its use of DHCPv6

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:49:47 -0700

Ralph just pointed out to me that there's a draft in the DNA working group that modifies the standard DHCPv6 startup sequence.   Interested parties are encouraged to take a look at it: http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-dna-simple-11.txt

Thanks!

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:36:31 -0500

I am particularly interested in dhc WG comments on a specific part of  
draft-ietf-dna-simple.

Section 4.6 describes the use of DHCPv6 in Simple DNA.  The draft  
specifies the transmission of a Solicit message:

    Where the host attempts to obtain IPv6 configuration in parallel  
with
    simple DNA, on receiving a link-layer "up" indication, it sends a
    DHCPv6 SOLICIT to All_DHCP_Relay_Agents_and_Servers.  This message
    contains an Identity Association for either a Temporary Address
    (IA_TA) or Non-Temporary Address (IA_NA) [RFC3315].  Where an
    existing valid address is being tested for operability, this address
    should be placed in the Identity Association's IAADDR element, and
    the DUID associated with that address should be copied to the DHCP
    SOLICIT from the SDAT.

Normally, a client would use a Confirm message when it has an assigned  
address on a link.  RFC 3315 specifies that a host can include IPv6  
addresses in a Solicit message as hints, but RFC 3315 is not specific  
about whether those hint addresses might be already assigned through  
DHCPv6 or how the server should respond if it receives a Solicit with  
previously assigned addresses in an IA_NA or IA_TA.

Also, note that Simple DNA is a mechanism for checking reattachment to  
any of multiple networks.  At the time DHCPv6 is initiated, the host  
doesn't know which network it might be reattaching to, so it may need  
to check more than one address from multiple networks.  Can the host  
include all the previous addresses in a single IA_NA (or IA_TA, as  
appropriate), or does it need to send a separate Solicit for each  
address?  I'm assuming the host will have used the same IA_ID across  
multiple networks, so the host can't include multiple IA_NAs in a  
single Solicit.

- Ralph

On Nov 17, 2009, at 3:49 PM 11/17/09, Ted Lemon wrote:

> Ralph just pointed out to me that there's a draft in the DNA working  
> group that modifies the standard DHCPv6 startup sequence.    
> Interested parties are encouraged to take a look at it: http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-dna-simple-11.txt
>
> Thanks!
>
> _______________________________________________
> dhcwg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg