Subject: [dhcwg] Last Call: draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-netboot (DHCPv6 option for network boot) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 07:09:58 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has received a request from the Dynamic Host Configuration WG 
(dhc) to consider the following document:

- 'DHCPv6 option for network boot '
   <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-netboot-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2010-04-28. Exceptionally, 
comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please 
retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

This new last call on draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-netboot-08.txt has
been initiated because of three down-references in the document.

draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-netboot-08.txt makes a normative reference
to an informational document, RFC 4578.  The reason for this
down-reference is that the DHCP options for PXE were developed without
IETF participation, and deployed without any published IETF documents.
In the process of trying to document previously undocumented options,
the dhc WG was able to encourage some PXE vendors to write a document
describing what was deployed.  That document was published as
Informational RFC 4578.  The text in RFC 4578 is referred to in
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-netboot-08.txt to provide understanding of
the PXE protocol and motivation for the DHCP option syntax and
semantics.

The document also includes normative references to "Preboot Execution
Environment (PXE) Specification" and "Unified Extensible Firmware
Interface Specification, Version 2.3", neither of which are IETF
documents.  Similar to the reference to RFC 4578, these two non-IETF
documents are used to provide understanding of the protocols for which
the options in draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-netboot-08.txt are defined.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-netboot-08.txt

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=17651&rfc_flag=0