Subject: [dhcwg] RFC 3074 - Choosing Hash buckets of HBA

From: ravi kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 21:54:22 +0530

Is there any recommendation for Hash Bucket Assignments to Servers, to
achieve a specified Load balancing ratio?
RFC 3074 provides instances to HBA's as below :
 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 ( 0 - 63 )
FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ( 64 - 127 )
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 (128 - 191 )
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 (192 - 255 )
Since the configured load balancing ratio would be reached as number of
client requests grow, I would like to know if random Hash buckets as part of
HBA's would converge to load balancing ratio faster.It would be great if you
could point me to any paper / studies, to support this fact.

regards
Ravi

---

From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 05:49:21 -0500

No papers or studies. Why complicate things by having a random
algorithm? Just assign 0-127 and 128-255 for 50/50 split - much easier
and simpler (and follows the Keep it Simple philosophy).

-          Bernie

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of ravi kumar
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2010 12:24 PM
To: DHC WG
Subject: [dhcwg] RFC 3074 - Choosing Hash buckets of HBA

Since the configured load balancing ratio would be reached as number of
client requests grow, I would like to know if random Hash buckets as
part of HBA's would converge to load balancing ratio faster.It would be
great if you could point me to any paper / studies, to support this
fact.

regards

Ravi