Subject: [dhcwg] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC3315 (2472)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 04:22:42 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC3315,
"Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=3315&eid=2472

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Ole Troan <[email-masked]>

Section: 17.2.2

Original Text
-------------
If the server will not assign any addresses to any IAs in a
subsequent Request from the client, the server MUST send an Advertise
message to the client that includes only a Status Code option with
code NoAddrsAvail and a status message for the user, a Server
Identifier option with the server's DUID, and a Client Identifier
option with the client's DUID.

Corrected Text
--------------
If the server will not assign any addresses to an IA in a
subsequent Request from the client, the server MUST send an Advertise
message to the client that includes the IA containing a Status Code option
with status code NoAddrsAvail and a status message for the user, a Server
Identifier option with the server's DUID, and a Client Identifier
option with the client's DUID. The server SHOULD include other stateful IA options
(like IA_PD) and other configuration options in the Advertise message.

Notes
-----

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC3315 (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-28)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6)
Publication Date    : July 2003
Author(s)           : R. Droms, Ed., J. Bound, B. Volz, T. Lemon, C. Perkins, M. Carney
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Dynamic Host Configuration
Area                : Internet
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 12:14:15 -0500

In my opinion, this and the other Errata (2471) need some additional
discussion and likely rewording - and are probably on the wrong
document.

For example, the proposed text here mentions IA_PD which means RFC 3315
would now have a forward reference to a later RFC (3363). Perhaps this
is allowed, but that reference would need to be provided.

Thus, a question is whether this should just be a RFC 3363 errata to
modify the RFC 3315 behavior as this isn't an issue unless you use IA_PD
(RFC 3363) as well as IA_NA/IA_TAs.

If someone is just implementing RFC 3315, this Errata does not impact
them. Only if RFC 3363 is also being implemented, does anything change.

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of RFC Errata System
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:23 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC3315 (2472)

Section: 17.2.2

Original Text
-------------

Corrected Text
--------------
If the server will not assign any addresses to an IA in a
subsequent Request from the client, the server MUST send an Advertise
message to the client that includes the IA containing a Status Code
option
with status code NoAddrsAvail and a status message for the user, a
Server
Identifier option with the server's DUID, and a Client Identifier
option with the client's DUID. The server SHOULD include other stateful
IA options
(like IA_PD) and other configuration options in the Advertise message.

Notes
-----

Instructions:
-------------

--------------------------------------
RFC3315 (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-28)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6
(DHCPv6)
Publication Date    : July 2003
Author(s)           : R. Droms, Ed., J. Bound, B. Volz, T. Lemon, C.
Perkins, M. Carney
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Dynamic Host Configuration
Area                : Internet
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg