Subject: Re: [dhcwg] I-D Action:draft-ietf-dhc-80211-option-01.txt

From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 09:14:30 -0500

I believe you want to define this option for both DHCPv4 and DHCPv6?

But ...

1. The figure in section 2 is only valid for the DHCPv6 option. DHCPv4
options have a 1-octet (8-bit) option-code and option-length field, not
2-octet (16-bit) values. You should define each separately.

2. The option number cannot be shared between DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 - each
need their own option number.

The text in section 2 also should be clear that clients should request
this option in the (DHCPv4) Parameter Request List or (DHCPv6) Option
Request Option. This is the normal way the server knows which options to
return to the client (provided of course the option is configured in the
server).

Finally, some more about how this is supposed to work needs to be
documented. If the client is able to perform DHCP (which are IP/UDP
based communication) how does this SSID (i.e., hasn't the client already
found the SSID given that it is communicating)? Is the client expected
to change SSID once DHCP[v4/v6] is done and this value is provided? Is
this value being provided over a different interface for use with a
wireless interface? Or?

Perhaps those with detailed knowledge of 802.11 know how this
information is supposed to be used, but ...

Also, we've been using 802.11 networks for many years now without this.
So, why is this now needed?

Seems like you're also missing some basic references (such as to RFC
3315)?

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Krzysztof Grochla
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2010 3:25 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] I-D Action:draft-ietf-dhc-80211-option-01.txt

Dear DHC WG,

By mistake I've submitted this draft as a working group document, thus
it has been withdrawn. My intention was to submit this as an individual
draft ask the group for a review. I'm sorry for this misnaming. I've
corrected this now and submitted the individual draft as
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-grochla-80211-dhcp-option-00. 

I would like kindly ask you to review the above mentioned draft to
answer if it shall be further proceeded. It is a fairly simple
specification of options for basic WiFi AP configuration (the channel
and SSID). This can be used for quick and simple configuration of these
parameters using DHCP or by autoconfiguration schemes for WiFi networks
based on DHCP. Do you think there is room for such standardization?

Thanks,
Krzysztof

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
> This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group of the IETF.
>
>
>	Title           : IEEE 802.11 parameters DHCP Option
>	Author(s)       : K. Grochla
>	Filename        : draft-ietf-dhc-80211-option-01.txt
>	Pages           : 5
>	Date            : 2010-08-27
>
> The wireless access points and other devices requires configuration of
parameters such as channel, ESSID. This document describes the DHCP
options to be used to configure these parameters.

> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-80211-option-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg