Subject: Re: [dhcwg] draft-asati-dhc-relay-agent-config-00.txt

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:58:58 -0700

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 01:42:42PM -0700, Andre Kostur wrote:
> verbatim into the replay, which means that the server doesn't get an
> opportunity to modify the contents of the RAIO before sending it back to the
> relay.

I am not sure this requirement is so fixed.  We have given to the IESG
a draft for VPN negotiation between relay agents and DHCP servers
(draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option).  Unless I am mistaken in my memory of it,
the relay agent advertises the VPN the client is on, and the server
may (by changing the DHCPv4 RAIO sub-option contents) assign the
client to a different VPN.

I remember Kim at the time requesting attention on the fact that this
was a change in precedent, and for people to carefully consider if it
is something we want to potentially continue.

Personally I see no issue with it, although our software isn't
currently outfitted for support of it, I can't see that it would
break anything.  The worst case is that the relay would receive what
it had transmitted, and the client would not change VPN's.

-- 
David W. Hankins	BIND 10 needs more DHCP voices.
Software Engineer		There just aren't enough in our heads.
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.		http://bind10.isc.org/