Subject: [dhcwg] Protocol Action: 'DHCPv4 lease query by Relay Agent Remote ID' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-by-remote-id-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 09:54:24 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'DHCPv4 lease query by Relay Agent Remote ID'
  (draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-by-remote-id-09.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-by-remote-id/

Technical Summary

   This document describes an extension to the DHCPLEASEQUERY exchange
   described in RFC4388.  The extension allows the querying agent to
   immediately refresh its cache after a reboot using information that
   is available to it (the remote id) rather than requiring it to make
   LEASEQUERY requests as a result of information gleaned from traffic
   over time.

Working Group Summary

   This document appeared in the working group at the beginning of
   2008.  There has been substantial review of this document.

Document Quality

   The document has undergone careful review, and the working group is
   satisfied with its quality.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>.  Tthe
   responsible A-D is Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>.

RFC Editor Note

Please revise section 6, "Security Considerations," as follows:

OLD

   This document does not introduce any new security concerns beyond
   those specified in the original lease query protocol RFC 4388
   [RFC4388] specifications.

NEW

   This document inherits the security concerns present in the
   original lease query protocol RFC 4388 [RFC4388] specifications.

   This specification introduces one additional issue, beyond those
   described in RFC 4388. A query by remote-id will result in the
   server replying with a consolidated lease binding information. 
   Such a query, if done from an unauthorized source may lead to
   leak of lease binding information. It is critical to deploy
   authentication techniques mentioned in RFC 3118 to prevent such
   unauthorized lease queries.