Subject: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 failover update

From: Tomek Mrugalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 18:13:07 +0200

Hi,
You may have noticed some recent movements in the failover area. It may
be a bit confusing, so I wanted to explain what has happened recently.

Step 0: DHCPv6 Redundancy Considerations
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-redundancy-consider-03
This draft is in IESG review now. A kind of soft discuss was raised, so
authors worked on an updated version that hopefully addresses all
concerns. It already completed WGLC, so no extra actions are requested
at this time. Of course, you are welcome to (re)read and review it, but
if your time is limited, there are better things to do to help with
failover (see steps 1 and 2 below).

Step 1: DHCPv6 Failover Requirements
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-failover-requirements-02
This is a first in a series of 3 drafts planned. It lays out
requirements for DHCPv6 failover. Authors believe that work on this
document is more or less done and would like to ask for WGLC. If you
have only short time for failover related things, please review this.

Step 2: DHCPv6 Failover Design
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-failover-design-01
This is the actual design. There is a significant progress from the -00
version, but this work is not complete yet. Although failover endpoints
state machine and lease lifecycle descriptions are more or less
complete, there are still missing bits and pieces. See several TODO tags
in the txt version or issues marked in XML version. It would be great to
hear your comments and suggestions about this draft, or even better,
contributed text for missing pieces.

There is a step 3 planned - the actual on-wire spec for the design laid
out in failover-design draft. This work hasn't started yet.

If you are interested in the failover work, you are more then welcome to
join the effort. We have a public GIT repo for intermediate versions,
with a simple list of issues, historical v4 failover drafts etc. It is
available here: https://github.com/tomaszmrugalski/ietf-dhcpv6-fo

Cheers,
Tomek

---

From: Tomek Mrugalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 15:33:27 +0200

Hi,
Authors of DHCPv6 Failover Requirements draft believe that it is ready
for a last call. Therefore I would like to ask chairs to announce WGLC
on draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-failover-requirements-02.

Thanks,
Tomek