Subject: [dhcwg] DHCPv4-over-IPv6 client-side implementations?

From: Stephen Jacob <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 15:47:36 -0800

Hi everyone,

I know there's at least one group working on an implementation of
the client side of DHCPv4-over-IPv6 (the CRA + ?), but it is not
ready yet as I understand it.

Do any of you know if there are any complete or mostly complete
implementations which might be used for, e.g., interop testing?

Regards,
Stephen
-- 
 Stephen Jacob | [email-masked] | +1 650 381 6051
 Nominum, Inc. |  http://www.nominum.com/  | +1 650 381 6000

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 22:35:18 +0100

>  ready yet as I understand it.

=> note there is no "DHCPv4-over-IPv6 client" per se if you don't
include the [H]CRA inside a client.

>  implementations which might be used for, e.g., interop testing?

=> we (ISC) have an implementation but we are waiting for the CRA6ADDR
code point (to be assigned by IANA) before releasing it...

Regards

[email-masked] (also [email-masked])

---

From: Qi Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 13:19:13 +0800

Dear all ,

We have uploaded to Github the source code of our implementations of DHCPv4-over-IPv6 and lightweight 4over6, implemented by Tsinghua University. 

Please can you download the source code via the following links:

https://github.com/gnocuil/lightweight4over6
https://github.com/gnocuil/DHCPv4-over-v6

Currently, we use option code 224 for port set option. 

Your tests and comments are warmly welcome. 

Please feel free to let us know if there is any issue.

Best Regards!

Qi Sun

On 2012-11-28, at 上午5:35, Francis Dupont wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> dhcwg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Stephen Jacob <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 23:14:52 -0800

> include the [H]CRA inside a client.

Right. I was thinking of the CRA and related options. You are, of
course, right that there is no "DHCPv4-over-IPv6 client". It wasn't
my intention to imply that there was.

Since they're all just CRAs from the DHCP server (TSV) perspective
(handled the same, that is), as a server implementor I haven't been
worrying about LCRA vs. HCRA.

> code point (to be assigned by IANA) before releasing it...

Yeah, I'm waiting for the IANA assignment for CRA6ADDR too.
Though it requires no special handling by the DHCP server from
a protocol standpoint, it will be good to be able to represent
it properly in the server.

I look forward to trying out ISC's CRA implementation when it
is made available.

Regards,
Stephen

---

From: Leaf yeh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 10:21:27 +0000

Stephen - ...the client side of DHCPv4-over-IPv6 (the CRA + ?) ...
Francis - ...there is no "DHCPv4-over-IPv6 client" per se if you don't include the [H]CRA inside a client.

Section 3 @ https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv4-over-ipv6/?include_text=1 

<quote>
   o  Client Relay Agent(CRA): a special DHCPv4 Relay Agent which relays
      between DHCPv4 client and DHCPv4 server using an IPv6 network.  A
      CRA either sits on the same, IPv6-accessable host with the DHCPv4
      client, or sits on the same link with the host.
   o  Host Client Relay Agent(HCRA): a CRA which sits on the same, IPv6-
      accessible host with the DHCPv4 client.
   o  On-Link Client Relay Agent(LCRA): a CRA which sits on the same
      link with the host that runs DHCPv4 client.
</quote>

LCRA sounds a IPv6-Transport (4o6) client-side RA in this DHCP (4o6) architecture, not really client (C) there. This RA has both IPv6 and IPv4 connectivity, and relays DHCP messages between client and IPv6-Transport (4o6) server-side RA or IPv6-Transport (4o6) server.

<quote>
   o  IPv6-Transport Relay Agent(TRA): a DHCPv4 Relay Agent that
      supports IPv6 transport.  TRA sits on a machine which has both
      IPv6 and IPv4 connectivity, and relays DHCP messages between CRA
      and regular DHCPv4 server.  Unlike CRA, TRA sits on the remote end
      of IPv6 network, and communicates with DHCPv4 server through IPv4.
</quote>

The device sounds a IPv6-Transport (4o6) server-side RA.

So the architecture of DHCP4o6 sounds to be:

DHCPv4 Client --- IPv6-Transport client-side Relay agent --- IPv6-Transport server-side Relay agent --- DHCPv4 Server.

The IPv6-Transport client-side Relay agent in this architecture sounds a 'client-side 4o6 RA'.
The IPv6-Transport server-side Relay agent in this architecture sounds a 'server-side 4o6 RA'.

The client in this architecture has the variation to combine DHCPv4 Client and IPv6-Transport client-side Relay agent to be a real 'client-4o6-RA' or 'Host-4o6-RA'. 
The server in this architecture has the variation to direct support IPv6-Transport as a real '4o6-server'.

Just for another naming game.

Best Regards,
Leaf

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Stephen Jacob
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:15 PM
To: Francis Dupont
Cc: IETF DHC Working Group
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] DHCPv4-over-IPv6 client-side implementations?

Regards,
Stephen

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 11:29:25 +0100

> implementations which might be used for, e.g., interop testing?

Huawei demonstrated both client and server side of DHCPv4-over-IPv6 at 
the bits-and-bytes at IETF 85 Atlanta.

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca