Subject: [dhcwg] Protocol Action: 'The DHCPv4 Relay Agent Identifier Suboption' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dhc-relay-id-suboption-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 12:13:11 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The DHCPv4 Relay Agent Identifier Suboption'
  (draft-ietf-dhc-relay-id-suboption-13.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Brian Haberman.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-relay-id-suboption/

Technical Summary: 

   This draft defines a new Relay Agent Identifier suboption for the
   Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol's (DHCP) Relay Agent
   Information option.  The suboption carries a value that uniquely
   identifies the relay agent device within the administrative domain.

Working Group Summary: 

   This document went through the working group, went to last call,
   and went to the IESG, but the sole active editor of the draft at
   the time wound up moving to a new job function where he no longer
   had time to work on the draft, so the work languished for several
   years.

   Recently, two new editors surfaced and began updating the document.
   The exact nature of the document changed somewhat, and memories
   have faded, so it was felt that we should restart the process from
   WGLC back through the IESG.

   This draft got quite a bit of discussion and review in the working
   group during 2011 and early 2012, and passed working group last
   call with some minor editorial comments and no opposition.  Because
   of the history of the document, there was some back-and-forth
   between me and Ralph about how to proceed with the document, with a
   lot of dead air in between, so unfortunately this shepherd doc is
   being written almost a year after the document passed last call.

   This ballot writeup was updated at the time of the submission of
   the latest revision for IETF review and publication.

Document Quality: 

   I'm not aware of any existing implementations.  There is a document
   (the DHCPv4 bulk leasequery document) that depends on this
   document.  It's pretty clear that at least Cisco will be
   implementing this, and that there is demand for it from
   enterprises.  Incognito has also indicated that they intend to
   implement.

   The document contains an acknowledgements section; obviously the
   two new editors are not mentioned there, but certainly deserve
   thanks for having revised the document and for pushing it back
   through the process to this point.

Personnel: 

   Ted Lemon is the document shepherd.  Ralph Droms is the responsible
   AD.

RFC Editor Note

Please make the following change before publication:

OLD:

5.1.  Identifier Uniqueness

  	Administrators should take special care to ensure that relay-ids
  	configured in their relay agents are not duplicated.  There are a
  	number of strategies that may be used to achieve this.

NEW:

5.1.  Identifier Uniqueness

  	It is strongly recommended that administrators take special care to ensure that relay-ids
  	configured in their relay agents are not duplicated.  There are a
  	number of strategies that may be used to achieve this.

END