Subject: [dhcwg] WG Review: Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 09:53:00 -0700

The Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc) working group in the Internet Area
of the IETF is undergoing rechartering. The IESG has not made any
determination yet. The following draft charter was submitted, and is
provided for informational purposes only. Please send your comments to
the IESG mailing list (iesg at ietf.org) by 2013-09-09.

Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Bernie Volz <[email-masked]>
  Tomek Mrugalski <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dhcwg/

Charter:

Proposed Updated DHC WG Charter (August 26, 2013)
-------------------------------------------------

The Dynamic Host Configuration working group (DHC WG) has developed DHCP
for automated allocation, configuration and management of IP addresses
and TCP/IP protocol stack parameters. DHCPv4 is currently a Draft
Standard and is documented in RFC 2131 and RFC 2132. DHCPv6 is currently
a Proposed Standard and is documented in RFC 3315. Subsequent RFCs
document additional options and other enhancements to the specifications.

The DHC WG is responsible for defining DHCP protocol extensions.
Definitions of new DHCP options that are delivered using standard
mechanisms with documented semantics are not considered a protocol
extension and thus are outside of scope for the DHC WG. Such options
should be defined within their respective WGs and reviewed by the DHCP
Directorate. However, if such options require protocol extensions or new
semantics, the protocol extension work must be done in the DHC WG.

The DHC WG has the following main objectives:
  
1. Develop extensions to the DHCPv6 infrastructure as required to meet
   new applications and deployments of DHCP. The topics currently in
   development are:
   - DHCPv6 Failover, High Availability and Load Balancing
   - Extend DHCPv6 to work with multiple provisioning domains
   - DHCP provisioning of IPv4 clients over IPv6 networks
   - SOLMAXRT counter update
   - Container option 
   - Access Network Identifier
   - DNS registration for SLAAC

   Additional topics may only be added with approval from the responsible
   Area Director or by re-chartering.

2. Develop a replacement for OPTION_NTP_SERVER (RFC 5908).   The
   DHC working group will develop this option, taking input from the NTP
   working group during the development process.   Last call on this
option
   will be done in the DHC working group.

3. Specify guidelines for creating new DHCPv6 options.

4. Develop documents that help explain operational considerations for
   the wider community.

5. Issue updated versions of the DHCP base specifications--
   RFC 3315 (DHCPv6), RFC 3633 (DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation) and
   RFC 3736 (Stateless DHCPv6) so as to fix errata and bring
   the documents to the point where they can advance along the
   IETF Standards Track.

6. In the process of updating the DHCP base specifications, in
   cases where time is of the essence, issue corrections and
   clarifications of the specifications in order to quickly address
   interoperability problems.

7. Write analyses and interoperability reports on existing DHC
   documents, including base specs.

8. When serious interoperability problems are found in other DHCP
   specifications, issue updated versions of those problems to
   address the interoperability problems.

Milestones:
  Done     - WG Last Call on DHCP Options for Internet Storage Name
Service (draft-ietf-dhc-isnsoption-03.txt)
  Done     - WG Last Call on Load Balancing for DHCPv6
(draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-loadb-02.txt)
  Done     - WG Last Call on Time Configuration Options for DHCPv6
(draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-timeconfig-01.txt)
  Done     - WG Last Call on IPv6 Prefix Options for DHCPv6
(draft-troan-dhcpv6-opt-prefix-delegation-02.txt)
  Done     - WG Last Call on DNS Configuration options for DHCPv6
(draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsconfig-01.txt)
  Done     - WG Last Call on NIS Configuration Options for DHCPv6
(draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-nisconfig-01.txt)
  Done     - Resubmit draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-28.txt to IESG
  Done     - Identify DHCPv4 authentication design team
  Done     - Identify DHCPv4 specification review design team
  Done     - Identify DHCPv4 relay agent message authentication design
team
  Done     - Submit DHCP Options for Internet Storage Name Service to
IESG (draft-ietf-dhc-isnsoption)
  Done     - Submit DNS Configuration options for DHCPv6 to IESG
(draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsconfig)
  Done     - Submit NIS Configuratio Options for DHCPv6 to IESG
(draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-nisconfig)
  Done     - Submit IPv6 Prefix Options for DHCPv6 to IESG
(draft-troan-dhcpv6-opt-prefix-delegation)
  Done     - Submit 'Detection of Network Attachment (DNA) in IPv4' to
IESG (draft-ietf-dhc-dna-ipv4)
  Done     - Resolve IPR issues around 'Rapid Commit Option for DHCPv4'
  Done     - Publish report on dual-stack issues in DHCP
(draft-ietf-dhc-dual-stack)
  Done     - Publish report on requirements for renumbering using
stateless  DHCPv6 (draft-ietf-dhc-stateless-dhcpv6-renumbering)
  Done     - Submit 'Lifetime Option for DHCPv6' to IESG
(draft-ietf-dhc-lifetime)
  Done     - Submit 'Rapid Commit Option for DHCPv4' to IESG
(draft-ietf-dhc-rapid-commit-opt)
  Done     - Submit DDNS/DHCP documents to IESG
  Done     - Submit 'Node-Specific Client Identifiers for DHCPv4' to IESG
(draft-ietf-dhc-3315id-for-v4)
  Done     - WG last call for 'Subnet Allocation Option'
<draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-alloc-04>
  Done     - WG last call on 'Virtual Subnet Selection Option'
<draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option>
  Oct 2007 - Submit 'Subnet Allocation Option'
(draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-alloc-04) to IESG for Proposed Standard
  Nov 2007 - WG last call on 'Guidelines for Creating New DHCP Options'
(draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines)
  Nov 2007 - Submit 'Virtual Subnet Selection Option',
(draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option) and (draft-ietf-dhc-agent-vpn-id) to IESG for
Proposed Standard
  Dec 2007 - WG last call for 'Domain Suffix Option for DHCPv6'
(draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain)
  Jan 2008 - Submit 'Domain Suffix Option for DHCPv6'
(draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain) to IESG for Proposed Standard
  Jan 2008 - Submit 'Guidelines for Creating New DHCP Options'
(draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines) to IESG for Best Current Practice
  Jan 2008 - Develop plan for advancing DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 plan to include
completion of DHCPv4 specification review report, 'Implementation Issues
with RFC 2131' (draft-ietf-dhc-implementation) for Informational
  Feb 2008 - WG last call for 'Status of Reclassifying DHCPv4 Options'
(draft-ietf-dhc-status-3942)
  Feb 2008 - WG last call for 'Dual-stack clients and merging of data
from DHCPv4 and DHCPv6' (draft-ietf-dhc-dual-stack-merge); waiting for
more experience with IPv6 deployment
  Feb 2008 - WG last call for 'Rebind Capability in DHCPv6 Reconfigure
Messages'  (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind)
  Mar 2008 - Submit 'Status of Reclassifying DHCPv4 Options'
(draft-ietf-dhc-status-3942) to IESG for Informational
  Apr 2008 - 2nd WG last call for 'DHCP Relay Agent Assignment
Notification Option (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate) and 'DHCPv6
Server Reply Sequence Number Option'  (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option)
  May 2008 - Submit 'Rebind Capability in DHCPv6 Reconfigure Messages'
(draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind) to IESG for Proposed Standard
  Jun 2008 - WG last call on 'Layer 2 Relay Agent Behaviour'
(draft-ietf-dhc-layer2-relay-agent)
  Jul 2008 - Submit 'Layer 2 Relay Agent Behaviour' to IESG
(draft-ietf-dhc-layer2-relay-agent) for Informational
  Jul 2008 - Submit 'DHCP Relay Agent Assignment Notification Option'
(draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate) and 'DHCPv6 Server Reply
Sequence Number Option' (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option) to IESG for
Proposed Standard
  Jul 2008 - Recharter, if needed