Subject: [dhcwg] Revision of draft-ietf-dhc-stable-privacy-addresses (Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-dhc-stable-privacy-addresses-01.txt)

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 05:37:01 -0300

Folks,

We have published a revision of the aforementioned I-D. The two main
changes are:

1) Specification of data types, byte order, etc.

Each parameter of the F() function has now an associate datatype, byte
order, etc. This is crucial for the result of the function to be the
same across platforms and implementations.

2) F() now supports address ranges

The "Prefix" variable has been replaced with two parameters that specify
an IPv6 address range. Namely:

---- cut here ----
   1.  Compute a random (but stable) identifier with the expression:

       RID = F(IPV6_ADDR_HI | IPV6_ADDR_LOW | Client_DUID | IAID |
       Counter | secret_key)

       Where:

       RID:
          Random (but stable) Identifier

[....]

       IPV6_ADDR_HI:
          An IPv6 address specifying the upper boundary of the IPv6
          address pool from which the DHCPv6 server leases IPv6
          addresses.  It MUST be represented as a 128-bit unsigned
          integer in network byte order.  If multiple servers operate on
          the same network to provide increased availability, all such
          DHCPv6 servers MUST be configured with the address range
          (i.e., the same IPV6_ADDR_HI and IPV6_ADDR_LOW parameters).
          It is the administrator's responsibility that the
          aforementioned requirement is met.

       IPV6_ADDR_LOW:
          An IPv6 address specifying the lower boundary of the IPv6
          address pool from which the DHCPv6 server leases IPv6
          addresses.  It MUST be represented as a 128-bit unsigned
          integer in network byte order.  If multiple servers operate on
          the same network to provide increased availability, all such
          DHCPv6 servers MUST be configured with the address range
          (i.e., the same IPV6_ADDR_HI and IPV6_ADDR_LOW parameters).
          It is the administrator's responsibility that the
          aforementioned requirement is met.
---- cut here ----

Any comments will be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Fernando & Will

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-ietf-dhc-stable-privacy-addresses-01.txt
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 00:29:04 -0800
From: [email-masked]
To: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>, Will Liu (Shucheng)
<[email-masked]>, Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>,
Shucheng LIU (Will) <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-dhc-stable-privacy-addresses-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Fernando Gont and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-ietf-dhc-stable-privacy-addresses
Revision:	01
Title:		A Method for Generating Semantically Opaque Interface
Identifiers with Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6)
Document date:	2015-02-18
Group:		dhc
Pages:		9
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-stable-privacy-addresses-01.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-stable-privacy-addresses/
Htmlized:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dhc-stable-privacy-addresses-01
Diff:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dhc-stable-privacy-addresses-01

Abstract:
   This document specifies a method for selecting IPv6 Interface
   Identifiers, to be employed by Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
   for IPv6 (DHCPv6) servers when leasing non-temporary IPv6 addresses
   to DHCPv6 clients.  This method is a DHCPv6 server side algorithm,
   that does not require any updates to the existing DHCPv6
   specifications.  The aforementioned method results in stable
   addresses within each subnet, even in the presence of multiple DHCPv6
   servers or DHCPv6 server reinstallments.  It is a DHCPv6-variant of
   the method specified in RFC 7217 for IPv6 Stateless Address
   Autoconfiguration.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat