Subject: [dhcwg] sunset4 & DHCP4o6

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 13:17:04 +0200

Looking the slides of the "Gap analysis" at the sunset4+v6ops session
of IETF 93 it seems a good idea to collect and publish an implementation
summary for DHCP4o6 (i.e., the list of available and planned implementations
of DHCP4o6 clients and servers). IMHO a typical job for the DHC WG.

Regards

[email-masked]

PS: please post the result in the sunset4 mailing list (i.e., where users
should be :-).

---

From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 11:25:08 +0000

In some cases we may have "special" knowledge. But we don't actively collect news of product/opensource annoucements nor do we think that is an IETF / dhc co-chair responsibilty.

You can certainly send out such announcement or request to collect & post this information.

There are cases where we may actively solicit implementation information, such as when trying to advance standards or document other implementation data.

- Bernie (from iPad)

> On Jul 21, 2015, at 7:18 AM, Francis Dupont <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> dhcwg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 13:30:47 +0200

Hi,

There is one implementation of client/server available at https://github.com/terastream/dhcp-server

I haven't tested this personally, however.

Thanks,
Ian

-----Original Message-----
From: dhcwg [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bernie Volz (volz)
Sent: 21 July 2015 13:25
To: Francis Dupont
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] sunset4 & DHCP4o6

- Bernie (from iPad)

> of IETF 93 it seems a good idea to collect and publish an 
> implementation summary for DHCP4o6 (i.e., the list of available and 
> planned implementations of DHCP4o6 clients and servers). IMHO a typical job for the DHC WG.
> 
> Regards
> 
> PS: please post the result in the sunset4 mailing list (i.e., where 
> users should be :-).
>

---

From: Tomek Mrugalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 13:51:43 +0200

On 21/07/15 13:17, Francis Dupont wrote:
> of DHCP4o6 clients and servers). 
Feel free to research this topic a bit and assemble such a list. While
the availability of existing implementations (or lack of thereof) does
not make or break a standard proposal, it may be useful to have some
insight into how popular a given mechanism really is. Having multiple,
hopefully interoperating implementation is certainly a desired thing in
the draft phase, but please do note that we're talking about published
RFC here.

If that information is of any use for you or anyone else, I'm aware of 4
implementations:
- patch for Kea (server), implemented by Tsinghua University, currently
semi-abandoned/stuck in review
- patch for ISC-DHCP (server), by Zagreb University
- patch for ISC-DHCP (server/client), you may know a bit more about this
as you were the implementor ;)
- Tsinghua University also had a very basic stub client implementation

> IMHO a typical job for the DHC WG.
It is not. Tracking current state of commercial and open source software
and its suport for published RFCs is in general case out of scope of the
DHC WG (any WG in my opinion). Otherwise, the traffic on WG mailing list
could quickly turn into endless stream of marketing-like announcements
from all DHCP implementations.

Tomek