Subject: [dhcwg] Value in draft-ietf-dhc-stable-privacy-addresses

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 09:22:17 -0300

Folks,

During the DHC meeting the question was made regarding what's the value
that this document brings.

1) It is a calculated technique for DHCPv6 failover (as pointed in
RFC7031, but never specified elsewhere).

2) At the same time, it specifies an algorithm for randomizing the IIDs.
Steps 2-5 in Section 4 of draft-ietf-dhc-stable-privacy-addresses need
to be performed no matter what the source of the random IID is (whether
the hash that we employ in our document, or simply "random()").

I wouldn't be surprised at all if implementations fail to perform some
or all of steps 2-5 above if we simply provide a vague "just set the IID
to a random value if you want to avoid privacy issues".

Whether the document continues as Informational or Std Track is, IMHO, a
secondary matter. But I would expect that based on the above, the value
in this document is clear.

Thanks,
-- 
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks
e-mail: [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 6666 31C6 D484 63B2 8FB1 E3C4 AE25 0D55 1D4E 7492