Subject: [dhcwg] Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv4-active-leasequery-06: (with COMMENT)

From: "Kathleen Moriarty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 10:11:40 -0700

Kathleen Moriarty has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv4-active-leasequery-06: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv4-active-leasequery/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I previously had no comments after reading the draft and think it may
help to explain why, even though I did see the option for an insecure
mode.

DHCP is *typically* used on local networks.  Admins have other controls
they can use and I hope they aren't too worried about
their LANs physical security... they can use switches to separate out
traffic - no one uses hubs anymore and they should control the equipment
and wires.  Additionally, I was thinking that this was IPv4 and was long
decided, as well as the discussions that already took place with Stephen
for similar text in the IPv6 equivalent.  Since there was an option for a
secure mode it could be used in other circumstances like an ISP's DHCP
service to customers edge routers or any circumstance where a secure mode
is warranted (and that's already stated in the Security Considerations).
Security involves risk management decisions for operators and
organizations and that has to be okay sometimes.  Since there is an
option to use a secure mode (with details on how to do that) when needed,
my feeling was the current text is enough given other security controls
and the option that could be dependent on the environment.